Hard Floor Protection

worldwidewebs

We're getting the engineered oak flooring laid soon but I want to be able to protect it from boots and tools while some of the jobs are being finished off. There isn't a lot to do upstairs, but enough that I want to do something about it - downstairs there will be quite a few jobs (kitchen, skirting, final electrics, door sets etc).

I need something thicker and more impact resistant than a cling film type stuff like Roll & Stroll and I'm going to assume it will be down for 4-6 weeks in the worst case - I can probably get away with about 150m2. What can anyone recommend to do the job?

Two good choices are:

Corex  I.e. Something like: https://ewistore.co.uk/shop/corex-sheeting/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbOJl6Gc1QIV4bftCh0LSgCYEAQYBCABEgJfCvD_BwE

or simple hardboard.

Tape the joints with gaffa tape.

If it's down for a long time remember that any area that is visibile may get bleached by light quicker than the areas covered. You'll only notice it when you take it up and youll be very upset. 

• Like 3

Also make sure the floor is spotlessly clean before you lay the Correx - one of our places had to have an oak floor relaid as there was small pieces of gravel and sand caught between the correx and the flooring and the slight movement made it work like sandpaper ...!

• Like 1

Thanks chaps. With those correx-type sheets, is anything needed underneath? What I'm trying to guard against as much as anything is all the little scratches from grit/small stones being brought in and getting under any boards and then acting like sandpaper. 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Also make sure the floor is spotlessly clean before you lay the Correx - one of our places had to have an oak floor relaid as there was small pieces of gravel and sand caught between the correx and the flooring and the slight movement made it work like sandpaper ...!

Just as I was typing my last reply! :D

I'd assume then that you'd have to tape it all up so that nothing can get under it. I've seen some fleeces, but it feels like overkill to fit the fleece and then correx on top

Edited by worldwidewebs

You can use cheap laminate underlay - the 2mm foam stuff works fine. 

I'd only suggest putting it under heavily used areas - the rest won't move but beware of duct taping to floors as it may need solvent to get the glue off if it's left for a while.  

As @PeterW said the floor needs to be spotless first. If you want to go 'belt and braces' then you can add cheap foam underlay, I've seen it done on premium jobs. Something like: https://www.onlinecarpets.co.uk/graphite-carpet-underlay.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgJL1v6Wc1QIVx6ntCh31fw_LEAQYCSABEgLcc_D_BwE

Also spend a bit of time ensuring it's fitted well without unprotected areas or large gaps. They become dirt traps. 

Now for a strange comment:

Protection sometimes increases the chance of damage!! 

You might think thats that's a crazy comment but site protection often causes less reputable tradespeople to stop caring. "cut that on top of there mate it will be fine" or simply throwing things around. Protection is not a cure all for damage. I would hope this isn't an issue for a selfbuild site where you have better control of trades. 

• Like 1

With prevention being better than cure.....

Once the deck protection is laid, approach each trade and explain that it will not withstand cutting / impact damage so please take extra care. Explain that you expect to see each trade / individual practising good measures against causing such damage eg putting down a dust sheet over the deck protection where any heavy tools ( router / planer / chopsaw legs ) are to be frequently used so as to be double sure that no major damage can occur. 

Futher expalin that you'd like the housekeeping 'upped' accordingly, eg filthy / gritty / clay covered boots left outside and clean boots / steel capped trainers used inside. Last new build I was on I bought wellies for going outside and kept my steel boots for inside only. 

Another major thing people overlook is the new door / French door thresholds. Get some old carpet offcuts and put them down over the thresholds so the seals don't get damaged or full of crap. Lift and shake these every day to keep them as crap-free as possible. Where heavy / repetitive carrying is to be through one particular door, apply some protection to the verticals of the door frames and that'll cover you for the fact that labourers and apprentices forget that the ladder has TWO 'kin ends :S

If you don't tell them, don't expect them to do any of the above ;). It's down to you to keep pushing for good practice, and if you relax, so will they. 

• Like 1