borescope / endscope experiences

Al in nl

Hi all,

I am would like to buy an endoscope/borescope. Rigid scope. Looking to push it behind boarding/walls to check blown in insulation.

Anyone have any good experiences.

Broader speaking what I currently want to use it for is:
I want a very good idea of how good blown in insulation has been done (be that cavity wall, straw, hemp, cellulose, anything) .
As far as I know now, building inspectors prefer henke-sass optics or glass optics similar but I am not willing to spend more than 300. Second hand is fine.

Practice a lot, it can be a little disorientating to make out what you are seeing, especially with a cheaper model or a second hand one with one with some broken fibres.

Have you considered a thermal camera? They give a good impression of the overall insulation and hence weak areas of heat loss in the thermal envelope.

There's surely going to be an element of unreliability in a spot check with an endoscope if the insulation is patchy? I might be thinking of using the scope that in an area that has flagged up as weak on the thermal image.

There are some cheap endoscopes (non rigid) sold for the motor trade which are ok for very limited inspections. 

Edited by Jilly

Jilly, Thanks

fwiw: I have a thermal camera, used a couple, checking houses.
I am more after visual proof/confirmation. Or in places which IR cannot check, say behind material that makes IR difficult; or thermal bridge area, so the IR gives a coldness but whether its say missing insulation or a bridge i cannot be sure. In the case I have in mind, there is too much noise from outside for my liking, so I think gaps.
The endoscopes I have seen used/tried out in semi realistic situation (a course years ago) gave an okay idea. Depending how how good scope light was and optics.

For me putting a hole thru for the scope is a last resort, could mean going through an airtight membrane. And from outside puncturing weatherproofing layer. Neither i really want to do.

• Like 1

The NHS sometimes sell off flexible endoscopes which are often old but very good quality at auctions. If you are good at video games you might find them easy to use and you could wiggle the end to look around a bit...You have no control of the directionality in the cheap ones. You could fashion some kind of sleeve to make it rigid. The diameters vary a lot. 

Don't get one like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VXM6V4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it's virtually impossible to use. The cable doesn't uncoil easily and you cannot direct the camera from any distance from the head. You lose orientation straight away. It would be OK if you could actually point the thing at what you want to see.