Anti mould paint for bathroom ceiling

AdamD

If it's to paint over an affected surface Zinsser BIN is supposed to be good as it's shellac based. I've only used it on timber as a knotting barrier. Not particularly easy to work with but the results are tough. I've read it's good for going over mould.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 to Zinsser.

We were getting mould above a shower and Zinsser was recommended to stop it. We used Zinsser 123 Primer Sealer then Zinsser Perma-White Interior Mould Resistant Paint. Worked very well. I'm never going to use anything else on a bathroom ceiling.

• Thanks 2

Do you have a fan in the bathroom, if you don't the mould will just come back.  Even if you do have a fan it is worth checking it's actually moving air.  We had a mould issue in our last house, when I put a piece of toilet paper in front of the running fan it just fell off, almost no air movement. New fan required.

Builder had just installed a cheap as chips fan, that a few years was good for the skip.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, I’ll check out the Zinsser one at the weekend. There is a bit of mould there already so sounds like a good option, not much but any is too much!

38 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Do you have a fan in the bathroom, if you don't the mould will just come back.  Even if you do have a fan it is worth checking it's actually moving air.  We had a mould issue in our last house, when I put a piece of toilet paper in front of the running fan it just fell off, almost no air movement. New fan required.

Builder had just installed a cheap as chips fan, that a few years was good for the skip.

Yes we have a working fan but it’s frustrating as the lights are on a dimmer switch and it only comes on when the lights are probably 50%+ brightness, whereas we tend to use it much dimmer than that.

Always wondered why extractor fans are linked to lights - is it normal or should they be independent?

10 hours ago, Radian said:

If it's to paint over an affected surface Zinsser BIN is supposed to be good as it's shellac based. I've only used it on timber as a knotting barrier. Not particularly easy to work with but the results are tough. I've read it's good for going over mould.

Primer first or just go over the top with paint? Rather do the latter for time reasons but if it needs primer that’s fine. Same colour, white, so presumably primer not needed? 

3 minutes ago, AdamD said:

Always wondered why extractor fans are linked to lights

Pretty normal, it says to the fan someone is here and I have a reason to run.

But if you're dimmed and the fan's are not coming on, that's why you have the mould.  Put in lower wattage bulbs, so the dimmer switch has to at a higher setting. Dim lights and fan works.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdamD said:

Primer first or just go over the top with paint? Rather do the latter for time reasons but if it needs primer that’s fine. Same colour, white, so presumably primer not needed? 

The mould spores penetrate the plaster surface to the extent that even bleach cleaning may not eradicate it entirely. It then regrows when fed with damp. Which is why it comes back if just painted over with ordinary emulsion which remains vapour permeable. Vinyl emulsion is better at sealing the surface but the Zinsser products are far better.

There's two applicable products: Zinsser 123 which is what @Temp has used as a base coat, or Zinsser BIN which is has a shellac base. This one is the harder to apply but gives an impenetrable coat if the mould has really got a hold. You're probably going to find Zinsser 123 base coat and Perma-White the best option if the mould isn't too bad. A wipe down with a mild bleach mould removing cleaning agent to begin with followed by base then top coat.

• Thanks 1

On 31/01/2023 at 08:37, JohnMo said:

Pretty normal, it says to the fan someone is here and I have a reason to run.

But if you're dimmed and the fan's are not coming on, that's why you have the mould.  Put in lower wattage bulbs, so the dimmer switch has to at a higher setting. Dim lights and fan works.

Silly question but would that not mean the maximum brightness is reduced? Wouldn’t bother me but my wife has it really bright! 

8 minutes ago, AdamD said:

Silly question but would that not mean the maximum brightness is reduced? Wouldn’t bother me but my wife has it really bright! 

Yes it would reduce maximum brightness but it’s either that, add additional switching (relay or similar) or have the fan on a separate switch.

On 31/01/2023 at 08:30, AdamD said:

whereas we tend to use it much dimmer

So that would be the royal 'we' - i.e. you. As said above yes lights overall would be dimmer. But... all said above.

Just turn the lights up enough to start the fan. Get rid of the mould, hopefully all sorted.

Sounds like a job for the weekend.