Ultra thin floor tiles

Pocster

Thinking ahead as usual !

My external sliding doors give me about 10mm of play off the concrete slab .

Hence why considering these . With decoupling mat and adhesive it’s going to be tight .

Anyone any experience of these ? ( sub 6mm ) .

In theory should be easier to work with due to less weight . Assume tile adhesive bed can be thinner also ..?

Not used them myself but impressive claims..

https://www.uktilesdirect.co.uk/news/porcel-thin-large-format-and-ultra-thin-porcelain-tiles/

Available in two large formats, the 1200x600mm tiles are only 4.8mm thick, and the 1800x900mm just 5.5mm, making them less than half the thickness and weight of a standard porcelain tile. Yet with absolutely no compromise on strength or durability – in fact, independent tests prove them to be nearly twice as strong.

How much adhesive you need depends how flat your floor is. 

Not used them myself but impressive claims..

https://www.uktilesdirect.co.uk/news/porcel-thin-large-format-and-ultra-thin-porcelain-tiles/

Available in two large formats, the 1200x600mm tiles are only 4.8mm thick, and the 1800x900mm just 5.5mm, making them less than half the thickness and weight of a standard porcelain tile. Yet with absolutely no compromise on strength or durability – in fact, independent tests prove them to be nearly twice as strong.

How much adhesive you need depends how flat your floor is. 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

If they are sliding doors, does it matter is the tiles are slightly higher than the sliding door threshold?

Probably not. But it does mean a slight lip going from inside to outside over the sliding door threshold.

Whilst ultra thin tiles would probably solve my issue I think the price may make me live with a minor 'step'

1 hour ago, Temp said:

We have a slight step in/out of our bathroom. Think it's about 8-10mm. Has wood strip with a partial 45 degree chamfer. Never noticed a problem.

Yeah I know it's not a real issue - just bugs me... ( basically they screeded too high - I asked them to allow 15mm for tiling ).

3 hours ago, pocster said:

the price may make me live

Have seen them at £120 a sq m !!!

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Yeah I know it's not a real issue - just bugs me... ( basically they screeded too high - I asked them to allow 15mm for tiling ).

Have seen them at £120 a sq m !!!

I went into a stone shop two years ago and they had "pillowed" stone at well over £200 /sqm. I understand each piece  was hand machined to give it  the worn look you get on the floor of a 16C farmhouse. 

• Like 1