10mm mortar, or not?

Post and beam

46 minutes ago, Brickie said:

When you say you want a wider joint-do you mean the bed joints (horizontal),cross joints (vertical) or both? 

As above,messing with the standard 75mm gauge will cause you problems with your door & window openings,as the timber frame people will design these to standard brickwork dimensions,unless instructed otherwise. 
Btw the lime added to a cement mix (hydrated) is different to the type you mix lime mortar with (NHL).

I did mean vertical and horizontal the same.

It was the move away from the normal 75mm spacing that prompted my post. i know very little but enough to realise this is a potential issue. I do want the house to look old and it was a brick merchant that suggested the wider spacing.

17 hours ago, joe90 said:

With my brick build the bricky used some lime in the mix and it looks good, the joints are about 12mm and the bricks “tumbled” (put in a revolving drum to knock the corners off to make them look old) very pleased with the result.

E404A397-F324-4E37-8C0A-7C5C2D6345F0.jpeg

22A8E95C-7EC2-4506-892A-04D867355D2E.jpeg

The top of this looks different to the bottom half. Perhaps a trick of the light.

1 minute ago, Post and beam said:

do want the house to look old 

Interesting. Old bricks tended to be bent and twisted so a thicker bed would have resolved the problem.

You can still get rustic bricks. They cost more and the brickies will hate them and try to reject about 1/4.

I wonder if bricks used to be more expensive than mortar in some areas.

I have just looked at my quote for the windows which contains dimensions of the overall frame. Not one of the windows or doors is an exact multiple of 75. Therefore some kind of accomodation is implied.

Therefore that accomodation can be made to suit an 80mm spacing.

Have i oversimplified the thing or missed something.

33 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

I have just looked at my quote for the windows which contains dimensions of the overall frame. Not one of the windows or doors is an exact multiple of 75. Therefore some kind of accomodation is implied.

Therefore that accomodation can be made to suit an 80mm spacing.

Have i oversimplified the thing or missed something.

What structural opening dimensions have they given?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brickie said:

What structural opening dimensions have they given?

Not totally sure what you expect but here goes dude.

1014 Bedroom windows

2036 front door side glazing

2058 Utility outside door

994 Dining room

1464 Living room front window

1164 Bedroom window

3 minutes ago, Post and beam said:

1014 Bedroom windows

994 Dining room

1164 Bedroom window

Ouch

1 hour ago, Post and beam said:

1014 Bedroom windows

994 Dining room

1164 Bedroom window

Are these the heights?

21 hours ago, Post and beam said:

What does 'Ouch' mean dude?

If they are your structural opening heights then not one of them works brick gauge. There must be a reason for this but without section details of the openings it’s difficult to tell. 

7 minutes ago, Canski said:

If they are your structural opening heights then not one of them works brick gauge. There must be a reason for this but without section details of the openings it’s difficult to tell. 

Thanks for your interest. The Window supplier was provided by the house build company. They are local to each other and used to working together. From this i guess they know what each other is doing and that it therefore works. Its possible i have mis understood something but i am taking the vertical sizes directly from their quote.

• 2 weeks later...

Potton do use brick dims, I’m also curious as to why those numbers are so apparently random. Just ask them.

assuming there’s some sense behind that…

If you’re going to change the mortar depth then that’s going to be a bit of a problem as it will add up. Probably not much but it depends how fussy you are.

The dimensions should be the structural openings, you will have to change the size of the windows if you want them to look perfect - but that’s doable. 

I sympathise with the brickies on this one. It's like changing the gate of your stride. It can be done but chances are it will mess up. I thought there was an upper limit as well but couldn't find it on a quick Google.

There are enough variables with brick style, mortar and bond. We went Flemish, but I also like Monk Bond. English Bond can suit a certain style.