Chat GPT for building regulations - insane!

GaryChaplin

8 minutes ago, joth said:

a horoscope writer's, and people make pretty major decisions off that. 

Nancy Reagan did.

Mystic Meg was a journalist, no magical powers at all.

Russel Grant, who I met once in a restaurant, is an actor.  He was so large he took up one side of a table for 4.  He was eating the same pizza as me, a La Mamma.

Blimey, I didn't mean to start a debate on the topic of AI. I just thought it was a useful shortcut to getting to the correct information source material.

Anyway, I thought I'd follow up with the results of my search about wood burning stoves and distance to combustible surfaces.

On 14/01/2023 at 11:41, Alan Ambrose said:

That’s interesting.

Having installed my wood burner and had the install passed by BC - each manufacturer publishes detailed data for each model on how close it can be in any particular dimension. I also measured he temperatures after I installed it to double check.

The supplier (ESSE) did not have their own data. They just quoted the 500mm from back and 400mm from sides. Though with shielding it can be dramatically reduced. See pdf

installationsWithShieldingOfCombustibleWall90degree45degree.pdf

Edited by GaryChaplin

Oh, and I did just follow up with ChatGPT with a final question, though not sure the stats are right?

Can you tell me the distance I can have a wood burning stove from a combustible surface

According to the Building Regulations Approved Document J (Combustion Appliances and Fuel Storage Systems) in the UK, the minimum distance between a wood burning stove and any combustible surface is typically measured as follows:

• From the front of the stove: at least 50mm (2 inches)
  • From the sides of the stove: at least 150mm (6 inches)
  • From the top of the stove: at least 225mm (9 inches)

It is important to note that these are the minimum distances and it is always recommended to have greater distance to reduce the risk of fire.

It is also important to note that these are the standard guidelines and some local building codes may have different requirements, so it is always important to check with local authorities before installation. A professional installer should also be consulted to ensure that the installation complies with all safety regulations and guidelines.

1 hour ago, GaryChaplin said:

Blimey, I didn't mean to start a debate on the topic of AI.

Sorry about that, but you did. 😁 Clearly this kind of AI is going to be the future of search engines. ChatGPT gained 1 million users in under a week. Here’s why the AI chatbot is primed to disrupt search as we know it.

If it all gets too out of hand you could always start another thread in Stoves, Fires & Fireplaces and not mention AI at all.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Radian said:

If it all gets too out of hand you could always start another thread in Stoves, Fires & Fireplaces and not mention AI at all.

Or emissions.

What we need is a Deep Thought to answer to give the answer to how safe wood burners in the home are.

Deep Thought

Deep Thought is a computer that was created by a pan-dimensional, hyper-intelligent species of beings (whose three-dimensional protrusions into our universe are ordinary white mice) to come up with the Answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. Deep Thought is the size of a small city. When, after seven and a half million years of calculation, the answer finally turns out to be 42, Deep Thought admonishes Loonquawl and Phouchg (the receivers of the Ultimate Answer) that "[she] checked it very thoroughly, and that quite definitely is the answer. I think the problem, to be quite honest with you is that you've never actually known what the question was."

Deep Thought does not know the ultimate question to Life, the Universe and Everything, but offers to design an even more powerful computer, Earth, to calculate it. After ten million years of calculation, the Earth is destroyed by Vogons five minutes before the computation is complete.

On the actual subject of stove clearances ...  for a Rais Viva 100L stove and Schiedel ICID Plus flue:

+ Distance to combustibles specified by Rais is min 75mm behind stove.

+ Distance to combustibles specified by Schiedel is 50mm in free air and 60mm in enlosed shaft.

BCO were happy with that, and in practice the measured temperatures after a long burn were:

a)    At closest skirting level to stove – 18.1 °C.
b)    On closest oak beam near top of stove – 26.6 °C.
c)    On closest plasterboard mid-way up flue – 22.8 °C.
d)    On closest plasterboard to flue at ceiling level – 42.5 °C.
e)    On outside of twin wall flue at ceiling level – 67 °C.

- the ignition point of paper, by comparison is ~230C.

I chose that specific stove bearing in mind its specified clearance distance.

Looks fun to be able to cook on it :)

I see for installation it says:

British Standards BS8303 / BS6461 and ...

combustible material should be far enough away from the appliance so as not to raise 60ºC above the room temperature ...

clearances from combustible materials are 400mm from the sides and 500 mm from the rear for the Bakeheart.

Should be a spec for your flue too.