Recommendations for Heating/Hot water design in ICF build

Meabh

Any recommendations for a company to design our heating & hot water system for our new ICF build in East Lothian, Scotland?

- Gas boiler/UFH/Unvented hot water cylinder/Buffer tank (but heat pump ready).

-  We will have PV so if they can also do that it’s a bonus (if not I have someone)

- We have the MVHR sorted

I’ve tried Chelmer and would have used them but building control has asked for info on the UHW cylinder which they haven’t been able to provide.

Any recommendations on who I could use for design/supply? Thanks

A lot of people on here could design it for you.

How big is your house, how many people to live in how many bedrooms?

What is your projected heat loss, how much insulation are you planning for your floor. Are you going UFH or radiators?

You may not need a buffer, but you do want priority hot water on X plan to get efficiency out of the boiler 

5 hours ago, Meabh said:

Any recommendations for a company to design our heating & hot water system for our new ICF build in East Lothian, Scotland?

- Gas boiler/UFH/Unvented hot water cylinder/Buffer tank (but heat pump ready).

-  We will have PV so if they can also do that it’s a bonus (if not I have someone)

- We have the MVHR sorted

I’ve tried Chelmer and would have used them but building control has asked for info on the UHW cylinder which they haven’t been able to provide.

Any recommendations on who I could use for design/supply? Thanks

Hi. 
What information specifically on the cylinder? Should be easy to get this tbh. 

10 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hi. 
What information specifically on the cylinder? Should be easy to get this tbh. 

We are in Scotland so do warrants before we can build.  The BC officer has asked ....

"Provide full details & manufacturer's info + BBA Cert for the Unvented HWC to comply with this part".

I know it seems weird - another self build near us wasn't asked about any of this....but it's a specific comment on the review of the warrant info  🙄 so we need to answer to get our warrant

Just pick a cylinder say 300l and get the docs and send them in.  Makes no difference whether you actually use that cylinder later.  All the real info goes into the EPC.

It will be when you look at the drawings for your house, it will just show a cylinder with no details.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Just pick a cylinder say 300l and get the docs and send them in.  Makes no difference whether you actually use that cylinder later.  All the real info goes into the EPC.

It will be when you look at the drawings for your house, it will just show a cylinder with no details.

What he said. 
Odd, as Chelmer seemed to me to be a decent crew. I liaised with them previously over a design for complex biomass installation I had on and they were very helpful ( but busy too ).

Thought they’d be able to spit this info out in the wink of an eye tbh….

52 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

I suggested this to the architect....last year

56 minutes ago, Meabh said:

Provide full details & manufacturer's info + BBA Cert for the Unvented HWC to comply with this part".

Most cylinders don’t have BBa certs as they are manufactured to order. Ask them which ones they think do… and what “part” of the regs are they referring to ..? In the Scottish technical handbook it is only 4.9.2 that refers to notifiable body, and tbh they also refer to out of date BS references so I can’t see elsewhere it asking for a BBa kitemark product ..?  

https://www.gov.scot/publications/building-standards-technical-handbook-2022-domestic/4-safety/4-9-danger-heat/

39 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

What he said. 
Odd, as Chelmer seemed to me to be a decent crew. I liaised with them previously over a design for complex biomass installation I had on and they were very helpful ( but busy too ).

Thought they’d be able to spit this info out in the wink of an eye tbh….

They were great to deal with when getting the quote etc. But after a phone call and multiple emails and no response to this it's put me off in case anything went wrong with the products down the line

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Most cylinders don’t have BBa certs as they are manufactured to order. Ask them which ones they think do… and what “part” of the regs are they referring to ..? In the Scottish technical handbook it is only 4.9.2 that refers to notifiable body, and tbh they also refer to out of date BS references so I can’t see elsewhere it asking for a BBa kitemark product ..?  

https://www.gov.scot/publications/building-standards-technical-handbook-2022-domestic/4-safety/4-9-danger-heat/

Thanks, I see what you mean - there is no mention of BBA and you have linked the "part" they are quoting. 

Our BC quoted

"SAFETY 4.9
Provide full details & manufacturer's info + BBA Cert for the Unvented HWC to
comply with this part & indicate overflow pipe on elevation terminating in the open
air at G/L with a protective cage."

So BC is asking for design of the discharge pipework.

It may be the designer that submitted my building warrant did specify a random make and model of cylinder and detailed the discharge pipework, but during the build I changed the location of the cylinder and chose one that suited me that may or may not have been mentioned before.  The only thing the BC inspector was interested in was the G3 sign off was done by someone they know.

Who is preparing your warrant? it is easy enough to detail the discharge pipe route and details and pick a random make and model of cylinder.

1 hour ago, Meabh said:

Thanks, I see what you mean - there is no mention of BBA and you have linked the "part" they are quoting. 

Our BC quoted

"SAFETY 4.9
Provide full details & manufacturer's info + BBA Cert for the Unvented HWC to
comply with this part & indicate overflow pipe on elevation terminating in the open
air at G/L with a protective cage."

Outdated pile of bullshit. Are these guys in their 90’s or something :/ ?

You can discharge D2 internally into a waterless trap, providing the pipe into which that discharges is a modern product that can receive high temp water for ‘short’ periods. 
You need to challenge these muppets. Prob find their forwarding address is Stonehenge. Ffs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

You can discharge D2 internally into a waterless trap, providing the pipe into which that discharges is a modern product that can receive high temp water for ‘short’ periods. 

That is under G3 on the English Building Regs - need to read up on the ones wee Jimmie Krankie is making those north of the border work to but can’t see how they can be different.

@Meabh if you’ve got a plan available someone will scribble the correct route for the D2 discharge