Power Flushing A Modern Gas Boiler System

Onoff

How easy is it to power flush the CH pipework connected to a modern gas combi / condensing boiler?

I can get the rig from work and have successfully done my own oil boiler / single pipe CH system. 

Got to be honest, anything gas boiler related scares me. BG want £900 or a Local Heroes guy £700.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Got to be honest, anything gas boiler related scares me. BG want £900

To flush it with what ..??? Neat gin.??!!!

Turn the boiler off, depending on the one you’ve got ideally remove the pump and fit the connections onto the valve flanges, open the gate valves and switch on. Add some system cleaner and run accordingly !! Open and close your rads in turn , rubber mallet to the bottom rail can remove a lot of crud.

Rinse and repeat, refit the pump, add inhibitor and water and job done.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Radian said:

I have to say I'm a bit confused by your question. What difference does it make what fuel the boiler uses?

I was more worried about any cleaner affecting the heat exchanger in the boiler which may be aluminium?

Apparently BG once did a "power cleanse". This is where they close all the rads and run the flushing rig just on the flow & return pipework. Different so they say to a "power flush" that does the pipes and each rad. Sounds complete BS to me.

I'm not getting involved I've decided. 

40 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm not getting involved I've decided. 

Probably for the best if it's not your money or your boiler.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Open and close your rads in turn , rubber mallet to the bottom rail can remove a lot of crud.

Actually that's given me an idea. I have a double panel rad with only one side that gets hot. I was going to wait until spring to remove it and flush it out with a hose outdoors but it'd be a little easier to isolate everything else, open a drain valve and put mains pressure water into the fill point. Or maybe not such a good idea to release crud into the rest of the pipework?

Do they even need one? Many times just draining and refilling a few times is all that's needed.

Remember to put some corrosion inhibitor in for the last fill. Corrosion products are what cause the blockages.