Calculating ducting size

On 09/01/2023 at 16:06, jayc89 said:

Given a list of room volumes and distances back to the MVHR unit location, is there a calculation I can use to determine the optimum duct sizing? I'd prefer to use 75mm everywhere, but given the size and distance away from the unit some rooms are, I'm not sure they will be suitable. 

what type of ducting are you using? rigid PVC / semi rigid / Galvanised spiral ducting or any others? 

On 09/01/2023 at 16:14, JohnMo said:

A lot of the duct manufacturer will give clear guidance in the duct datasheets.  Most ducting are pretty much the same, so would be worth going through some datasheets and taking a look.  Zehnder for example usually have decent information.

Hi John, 

we have had a few quotes for the MVHR installation for our new build.

They will use four units to cover the "basement, FF & two units to cover the GF".

They have quoted for the Vent Axia units.

What do you think is the best ducting I should expect them to quote for?

One has quoted using rigid PVC - I read this is not good? shall I ask them to change?

The other one is Galvanised spiral ducting to externals and to manifold boxes, with 75mm OD radial ducting system – x15 rolls semi-rigid ducting (50mtrs).

I come across the semi-regid is more prevalent in domestic installations, is this ok to use? or any other suggestions?

Anything else I should be looking in the quote to make sure I am not missing any?

8 minutes ago, Risemead said:

what type of ducting are you using? rigid PVC / semi rigid / Galvanised spiral ducting or any others? 

It's a retrofit so my plan was to use semi-rigid which seems to make the most sense. 

• 3 weeks later...

An easy way to do this - but only once you've learned the software - is to use the English version of the Aldes Ventilation Conceptor. You'll need to register at install stage (it's cloud-enabled).

You'll need a few hours to play with the software and learn the interface. There's an into (in French) that gives a few graphical clues to get you started at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJJ2PFOtWbY

Naturally it's designed for use with their products, but if you choose comparable items the design should be reasonably sound.

On 08/02/2023 at 18:21, Mike said:

An easy way to do this - but only once you've learned the software - is to use the English version of the Aldes Ventilation Conceptor. You'll need to register at install stage (it's cloud-enabled).

You'll need a few hours to play with the software and learn the interface. There's an into (in French) that gives a few graphical clues to get you started at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJJ2PFOtWbY

Naturally it's designed for use with their products, but if you choose comparable items the design should be reasonably sound.

oh no - this wont run on my mac its a windows program!!!!

Are there any mac programs or online tools that anyone can recomend?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...