Plastering stepped wall

jayc89

I have a wall that goes from 2 bricks wide to 1 brick wide half way up a room. I want the finish flush. Can I stud from the lip, finishing the top half in plasterboard and the bottom half in wet plaster direct to the wall. Or is it better to stud the full wall and PB it all?

If the former, I assume the PB would need to protrude a few mm from the bottom half wall, to allow for a base coat of hardwall on the brick, before a multi-finish coat across the lot?

That's an odd arrangement.  I would first be asking does the wall need or would benefit from extra insulation?  This is the once chance you get to easily add insulation before proceeding so think about that first.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That's an odd arrangement.  I would first be asking does the wall need or would benefit from extra insulation?  This is the once chance you get to easily add insulation before proceeding so think about that first.

It's an odd part of the house :) Watching trades try get their head's around doing any work around this area is quite amusing. 

The 2 brick thick part used to be the cellar (which was only approx 500mm below ground level), which has since been beam + blocked over. The 1 brick thick part was a bathroom on the half landing. We now have a single room at ground level. It's an internal wall, the other side is the staircase, so doesn't need 100mm+ insulation adding. 

Edited by jayc89