Should all quotes include a VAT number?

Just received a quote through for some (plumbing) work. Job is + VAT, but there's no VAT number displayed anywhere. The company is relatively young, Limited company so I can see their micro-accounts, which don't suggest they have a turn over to justify being VAT registered. 

Adding the VAT is another couple of hundred quid - should I ask for their VAT number or just accept the quote if I'm happy with the net price?

If its shows the vat detailed out in a quote then you know the price. Regardless of that if is supply and fit it should be zero rated, only when it is supply only should VAT be added at 20%. 

In all cases the invoice has to say your name and address.

You can register for vat with 0 turnover from day one 

Many years ago I was forced to go vat registered because went over the vat threshold of 27k Think it’s about 80k now 

If they are quite new They perhaps haven’t added a vat number to there estimate sheets 

But they will need to give you a vat invoice when billing 

Some companies simply won’t zero rate and you have to claim it back at the end 

4 hours ago, jayc89 said:

Just received a quote through for some (plumbing) work. Job is + VAT, but there's no VAT number displayed anywhere. The company is relatively young, Limited company so I can see their micro-accounts, which don't suggest they have a turn over to justify being VAT registered. 

Adding the VAT is another couple of hundred quid - should I ask for their VAT number or just accept the quote if I'm happy with the net price?

Is this for work on a new house or an extension or refurbishment? If it's for a new house or qualifying refurbishment the whole lot should be zero rated to you. Request a new quote which includes zero VAT before you accept it.

If its for an existing completed house or extension then they should charge VAT if they are registered.

Many new companies that are not registered will still put "+Vat" on their quotes because they think they won't get they work if people know they are a new outfit.