Decorating mdf 2nd fix joinery

James94

Finally started fitting skirting and architrave, we initially was just going to adhere them but some of the plastering round casings very sloppy. Having to take plaster back to enable flush fitting so borrowed a-nail gun to pull it all tight and hold it in place better, only problem with that is small holes to fill. Can anyone recommend a good filler for mdf?

Also bought a Wagner sprayer for walls and wanted to use it on second fix joinery have any of you used one to good effect? also can anyone recommend a good quality durable/wipeable sprayable paint? Looking for a matt finish 

James 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, James94 said:

Still not sure which type of paint to use for our skirtings, has anyone sprayed theirs? Looking for a durable matt finish.

james

I spray MDF with satin 2k paint. Did the under stair drawer units, alcove units, skirtings and window sills like this. Tough as nails (its what they put on vehicles) - you need to be setup to spray this though or find a paint shop who will do it for you. Water based is never as tough.

You really need to paint prior to fixing then just touch-up though as you cant be spraying 2k in the house. 

Edited by Carrerahill

On 01/01/2023 at 18:34, PeterW said:

This stuff 

Agreed. make sure to get the white if that is what you want.

The pot is quite small, but fine for your needs.

Everbuild is owned by Sika, so it is a big-time company now.

For fixing to a curved wall, I found that Gripfill was sticky enough without nails, where others were not grabby enough.

Have you had any problems getting sticky labels off the mdf without taking the primer with it?

Just now, James94 said:

But it does pull the primer off.

Not just me then. They haven't thought of putting them on the back.

I did a lot of work for timber companies, and noticed that they were supplying the identical productsto all the diy's and some merchants, just changing the labels.