I was told beware the gear oil in French vans

So in my quest for a van (ended up with Ford transit) I was told beware french makes who have had a gear oil change that wasn't oil by the manufacturer. Its inevitably too heavy and it will lay down after 3000 miles. Apparently some people realise after they have done it and sell it on. 

• Like 1

We have Fiesta and SMax.

I used Forescan software to add cruise control to the Fiesta but while doing that I noticed there appears to be an option to set the mileometer! Although I've not tested it for obvious reasons. If it works it would appear possible to buy a new Fiesta, never get it serviced and after say 2 years 11 months wind back the clock and send it for its first MOT. So a three year old car with just 17k on the clock could have done 50k or more with no or perhaps just one service and it would all look in order on paper. 

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

I looked at this when I did and automatic to manual conversation and needed a new Speedo.  Think the way it works is, if you install a brand new or used Speedo, you can reset the odo to current milage, but only if you are increasing the mileage not reducing it.   So if car has 50k on it and you replace speedo and the replacement Speedo read 100k, your stuck with a reading of 100k.

You cannot go backward, with any Speedo, current or any replacement.