Control strategy - turning off - Vent Axia MVHRs

We will have 2 x MVHR when we move in, which we are approx 3 months away from. We will regularly spend a few nights away from home & I am fixated on trying to keep energy costs down.

One MVHR will be in our loft space, with boost switches in each of the bathrooms to manually boost it. Another in a cupboard - nether easily accessible for a quick 'switch off on the way out the door'. 

Can anyone with Vent Axia MVHR's talk me through the control option's for them?

ie: 1) Can I use any one of the ''boost switches' to simply turn the whole unit off?

2) Can I/do they allow WIFI control so I can do it via my mobile?

3) Is there a way to remotely install (do i need to hard wire a cable now?) a control panel to enable me to switch off the units without going into the loft?

Many thanks,

Background run rate on these is about 45Wh so if you said 100Wh in total, then  both units running for a week is shy of £6… 

Will you be turning the fridge / freezer / TVs off standby when you leave the house as those are probably using equal if not more …?

And the whole point of background ventilation is that it runs permanently !!

• Like 1

The only thing I would add, your fan power usage is defined by the Specific fan power, measured in (W/l/s).  System pressure drop adds to fan power as the fan runs higher up its curve for a given l/s flow rate.

So really introspective of how many MVHR units the same power is used for a given flow rate.  In fact if two units reduce the duct length it could be argued a low fan speed is required due to lower system pumping losses.  So less watts are used for the same flow rate.

• Like 1

Download and read the manual. You'll find that it will have a holiday or building protection mode that drops the fan rates right down for the specified period of time. Could be activated via a control panel or remote portal.

Thanks all!

The manual does talk about an optional extra 'wired remote control' which has the same functions as the main unit it says. I believe this is the same unit we are having fitted in all the bathrooms/kitchens to enable a manual boost. However I do want to seek an existing owners help in determining whether it can be used to turn the unit off, or indeed set it to holiday mode.

Totally appreciate the comments on leaving running, and they normally would be, but if we are away for a few weeks I would like the option of switching the units off/holiday mode, as I would do for network switch & other background load power draws.

When we get home, i'd just run a purge cycle and crack on as normal.

Lots of small things do start to add up, and I am looking at our current rental's background electricity draw of 75 - 150w and cant help but think 100w for MVHR (as said above), ?50W for network, ?watts for CCTV, ?watts for alarm, ?watts for WIFi hotspots, ?watts for extra fridge freezer etc etc.....will all start to add up to a very meaty background load!!

The wired remote is literally a clone of the front panel, but you can only fit one AFAIK so I'm presuming you're actually just fitting boost switches in the other rooms?

In control mode 1, you can set a time period for "normal" and it will drop back to "low" outside those times. Obviously you can set low to be as low as you want. The front panel button operates Boost.

In control mode 2 you can toggle between speeds using the front panel button, plus three of the input terminals can connect to a 3-way switch for manual selection of a speed. Appendix 1 of the manual details this alternative mode.

6 minutes ago, Andehh said:

Out of curiosity, does it come with any WIFI monitoring adjustments?

For me a unit that doesn't connect to a remote anything is best. It then becomes a pain to make adjustments, so you don't f**k about with it or its settings - as it should be install, commission, run, replace filters, run.  Once installed and setup, except replacing filter and a general clean, there should be no need to touch it.

Mine even just dumb switches for boost, press once, job done, boost is on for 20 mins.

• Thanks 1