Flooring issues

James94

Just as we thought things were progressing and going to be in just after christmas we’ve hit a few problems.

Had the LVT flooring people round last week to start, we had some reservations on the job being started due to the temperatures, windows all in and water tight but not had any heating on yet,still waiting for a U16 meter to be installed.

Anyway they put down a layer of primer and continued to lay the SLC on the first day, they then came the next day and told us it was still wet so they couldn’t lay the flooring. They told us to get some heaters and they would start the next day. 

Temperatures in the house were quite warm so they started laying, but two days later we noticed it lifting. The next day they came and called me to come and have a discussion about it so they have now left site and we have had to take up all what they had laid and bin it.

Now we have another issue, we’ve had a leak in utility room and it’s flooded the utility and kitchen and we have noticed now it’s dried a bit there seems to be hairline cracks appearing in the SLC and it is very easy to lift now. We was hoping to leave the kitchen and utility SLC down and the flooring people just patch were they had originally laid and lifted. When using a scraper to lift the SLC there seems to be no cohesion, see video. Should we continue to rip these areas up and re lay the SLC

3F0F283B-F508-4F22-BB7A-15BCDF6602F5.jpeg

If the slab was very cold I could see the SLC crazing but would (should) still stick.

did they lay it over a dusty slab? I reckon the flood has done you a favour as this would rear its head in the near future anyway.

as above, rip it up and start again 

As Peter said, has to be PVA primer. You will always be able to chip it off if you try but lifting in sheets is a big no-no, over time it would crumble and bits would find their way into voids as the floor lifted resulting in high spots and a horrible crunching noise when walked on. Take up anything that’s loose or sounds hollow if talking it all up is proving difficult

I would make sure you use Waterproof PVA as there are some that are not:

Although most PVA glues used industrially are water resistant to grade 2, which means they can sustain several cycles of soaking/drying without having the glue fail, they are NOT Waterproof.

EVERBUILD® 506 Contractors PVA is not ok see product data sheet:

https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/items/manual/manual-everbuild-506-contractors-pva-18844.pdf

I would use Everbuild 503 SBR Bond or similar.

https://www.toolstation.com/everbuild-503-premium-sbr-bond-bonding-agent/p18528

Good luck

M