Are there any good skylights that can open super wide?

puntloos

In my house design I have a 2x2m flat skylight above my hallway. 

Most skylights I've seen can maybe open 10degree, just enough to let a little air in. 

Are there any motorized large(2x2m) skylights that can open "completely" (either 90 degree, the glass pointing effectively straight up, or perhaps horizontally sliding)?

Edited by puntloos

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

The hinges and mechanism would be huge - why not split it so  either wing is only 1m..?

Sealing it could be using a pneumatic seal same as they use on boats. 

Still probably a bit too custom to be feasible.

(context: I now have a little helicopter drone. Would be kinda cool to launch it from within the house James Bond Style)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Anything can be made if you throw enough money at it. It would cost a small fortune given how dear our 1m x 1m triple glazed fixed skylight is going to be. 

Yeah I’ve got 6 walk on skylights and the price is upsetting .

4 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Anything can be made if you throw enough money at it. It would cost a small fortune given how dear our 1m x 1m triple glazed fixed skylight is going to be. 

We are looking at three, may I ask what you paid? 

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

does it need to open to purge heat? having a non-opening one will save quite a bit of money! maybe enough to allow an alternate cooling system to be installed?

just an alternate angle to consider.

My plan certainly is to use it for heat purging yes. But the world is new and weird, and drone deliveries are becoming a thing.

https://www.uasvision.com/2020/09/22/rooftop-skylight-hatches-for-drone-deliveries/

But I also purchased a drone for myself to keep an eye on the building process and make timelapse so might be fun to have a helipad ;)

1 minute ago, puntloos said:

But I also purchased a drone for myself to keep an eye on the building process and make timelapse so might be fun to have a helipad ;)

Opening the back door and fly it out of that might be a cheaper option. 😂