Putting in insulation

Garald

This is just a visual update for people who are following my insulation saga.

As you know, we are insulating the streetside wall with a good thick layer of cellulose-based insulation (cotton/linen/hemp). Of course I mean: insulating material, air, fireproof panel.

image.thumb.png.fb4383154e19c15fbd11002fa5a4980d.pngimage.thumb.png.5febec199f859fe5b2c2eaa241ab79df.pngimage.thumb.png.99c70e0066f3d82f18f81900afd7ed5c.pngimage.thumb.png.13f2e36526cb861549648b0c982213ae.pngimage.thumb.png.73165b7258b67f37effb994e2c6b046c.png

I think this duct is for the stereo speaker cable:

image.png.2976a58db1211a8358c2448dc31930b9.png

I didn't know one could simply remove the decorative mouldings and then reattach them, but that's what the workers have just managed to do.image.thumb.png.4a361c2c10c7a95d911ab74cb1f59b72.pngimage.thumb.png.3dbd87f4ad96414af92323b0985e899e.pngimage.thumb.png.3044ddaaf26638fbd276859ffdfbfb94.png

Does it all look good? Any comments?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Garald said:

It's BioFib Trio - no idea whether it is similar (as I don't know NatraHemp).

https://www.thermafleece.com/product/thermafleece-natrahemp

It doesn't look a million miles off. Is the insulation using the metal framing to hold it up, or are there additional fixings too? Would love to know how they got your cornice down in one piece!

3 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

https://www.thermafleece.com/product/thermafleece-natrahemp

It doesn't look a million miles off. Is the insulation using the metal framing to hold it up, or are there additional fixings too?

I imagine it's there in part to hold the insulation up and in part so that one can set the fire-barrier panels against, well, something. What additional fixings?

> Would love to know how they got your cornice down in one piece!

I know! Polish contractor magic!

• Like 1

What's the deal with the membrane detail? It looks like some is behind the MF and some is on top of it?

I realise all my questions might come across like the Spanish Inquisition. I'm generally interested as Internal Wall Insulation is next on my list of jobs to tackle. 

3 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

What's the deal with the membrane detail? It looks like some is behind the MF and some is on top of it?

I realise all my questions might come across like the Spanish Inquisition. I'm generally interested as Internal Wall Insulation is next on my list of jobs to tackle. 

I *want* to summon the Spanish inquisition - that's why I post here. But what do you mean by MF, and for that matter by membrane detail? Sorry, newbie here.

2 hours ago, jayc89 said:

Ah, you mean that there is some membrane behind the metal frames and some membrane on top of it? Where should it be?

(Maybe I am seeing order in chaos, but: I think the wall where the membrane goes on top is an internal wall - would that be an adequate explanation? Does it make a difference?)

Edited by Garald

10 hours ago, Garald said:

Ah, you mean that there is some membrane behind the metal frames and some membrane on top of it? Where should it be?

(Maybe I am seeing order in chaos, but: I think the wall where the membrane goes on top is an internal wall - would that be an adequate explanation? Does it make a difference?)

Yeah, exactly. Some is behind and some is in front of the metal frame. Presumably the one behind is on the external wall, so acting as a breather membrane (i.e. not allowing wind to directly reach the insulation), and I'd assume the one in front is an AVCL (Airtight Vapour Control Layer) but I'm not sure why that would only be needed on internal walls. 

On 30/11/2022 at 08:40, jayc89 said:

Yeah, exactly. Some is behind and some is in front of the metal frame. Presumably the one behind is on the external wall, so acting as a breather membrane (i.e. not allowing wind to directly reach the insulation), and I'd assume the one in front is an AVCL (Airtight Vapour Control Layer) but I'm not sure why that would only be needed on internal walls. 

Not sure either. What I do know is that one of the side external walls is humid (presumably because the neighbor has a beautiful garden with, sigh, creeping vines) so we have to be extra careful there. That's the wall with the chimney (working chimney, btw - we are assuming that, since it is a massive stone chimney, it will still be safe to use).