Permitted development

joe90

Asking fir a friend who wants to build a garage under permitted development, so the ridge will be less that 4m and the eaves under 2.5m, however because the ground is sloping the eaves at the rear will be up to 400mm more than the 2.5m, will this be an issue? 

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

the ridge will be less that 4m and the eaves under 2.5m, however because the ground is sloping the eaves at the rear will be up to 400mm more than the 2.5m, will this be an issue? 

Yes it may well be. It was for us.

I say may be ... will a couple of barrow loads of earth make up the level to less than 2.5m? If so, do it.

• Like 1

When I built my shed the Planners wanted the heights measuring from the lowest point - the opposite of some others' experience but perhaps tying in with that of Tough Buttercup. I had to get Planning Permission. They were adamant that my plans would not fall under PD.

In my case the higher ground was held back by a retaining wall. Maybe that makes my situation different to others'.

• Sad 1

How it's measured is mentioned in the Householder Guide for Permitted Development. It's from the highest point adjacent to the building. 

Just beware that a shed and adjacent deck might be treated as two developments. Measured at different places.

• Like 1