GEOCELL foam glass for garage foundation?

Russdl

45 minutes ago, Russdl said:

they put houses, commercial buildings etc on this stuff. It seems a garage would not present an issue.

I am very interested but sceptical. I would need to see detailed designs and justification for the loadbearing capacity, and why frost heave won't affect it, being so shallow. Most commercial buildings have huge point loads.

I guess it is that i have investigated so many ' amazing new ideas' that makes me sceptical. Screw piles for one, were said by the suppliers to support factory columns, but couldn't. Expanding foam, as in a concurrent discussion has its place, but limited. 

So don't let me stop you, but report as you go please.

6 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I am very interested but sceptical

Sounds reasonable.

It looks like a German development and bits and pieces on line show it being used for all manner of construction. I'm quietly confident this is going to be spot on for a garage foundation (or any other foundation for that matter) but I've not committed yet so happy to be proved wrong.

14 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

So don't let me stop you, but report as you go please.

Will do 👍

2 hours ago, Russdl said:

@BenP thanks for that.

I was initially thinking of 300mm which it transpires would give me a U value of 0.19W/m2K so that looks alright (250mm would give a U value of 0.21W/m2K). Heating hasn't been decided yet.

You have experience with UFH so I would consider that. Solar thermal might be good for this?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

Solar thermal might be good for this

For  an occasionally used workshop I would consider a Mediterranean type Aircon unit. A fan and heat  exchanger outside and fan inside.

They used to be very poor for heating, but now appear  to get a 4x energy rating. For £500.

Plus an infra-red work-bench facing heater for instant warming of you.  There is a good big one with optional stand at toolstation. They all show a bit of visible light now. for unbelievers and to remind us to turn it off.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

You have experience with UFH

I have, I’ll see how my

plan evolves but it’s highly

likely I’ll install the pipes and pop a Willis heater in there. Any extra solar would be PV, I won’t be adding solar thermal. 

I’ll also explore @saveasteading’s suggestions 

Edited by Russdl
Added a bit.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Russdl said:

I have, I’ll see how my

plan evolves but it’s highly

likely I’ll install the pipes and pop a Willis heater in there. Any extra solar would be PV, I won’t be adding solar thermal. 

I’ll also explore @saveasteading’s suggestions 

You should have an insulated garage door  - https://www.peakgaragedoors.co.uk/passive-house-garage-doors/  (It was mentioned to me, so I can't comment either way)

1 hour ago, Adrian Walker said:

You should have an insulated garage door

Yep, that's the plan, a sideways opening sectional door.

I won't have enough room for a conventional roller door what with my restricted overall height and warm roof construction.

2 hours ago, Russdl said:

Yep, that's the plan, a sideways opening sectional door.

I won't have enough room for a conventional roller door what with my restricted overall height and warm roof construction.

You sound like you are building the garage at my last place. Details here: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/my-gab-in-the-uk-thread.265998/

As mentioned earlier if BCO think yiu are putting heating in it, they will treat it has habitable space, with full compliance necessary. So accidentally installing UFH pipes after they have viewed will be necessary. Then hide the manifold.

I had enough of a struggle explaing why there was insulation under the floor slab. My argument, entirely true, was i wanted a thermally stable environment to store my cars to prevent deterioration. The "trade" simply doesnt get it.

• Thanks 1

@Roger440 thanks for that link, interesting reading. My GAB will serve a similar purpose to yours but I only have the one car to put in it plus other stuff. 

34 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

As mentioned earlier if BCO think yiu are putting heating in it, they will treat it has habitable space, with full compliance necessary.

Oh. Really? that’s very useful to know.

I’ll be using the same inspector that we used for the house build who was, um, easy to put it mildly. I’ll check with him before I start. 

39 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

My argument, entirely true, was i wanted a thermally stable environment to store my cars to prevent deterioration.

Likewise, and to stop tools

going rusty etc etc. 

• Like 1

I think the argument is the other way round.

Not, this has heating so is regarded as  a house so you must insulate it.

But, you have a space heating system, so you must not waste energy. Then the targets kick in according to use.

Using local infra red heating does not require insulation.

• Thanks 1