Old consumer unit?

JCGD

You don't see many like that anymore. Pull out individual fuses to isolate the circuits - although I'd throw the main breaker first. Safety wasn't such a priority when these were installed. The fuse carrier will expose a certain amount of live conductor as it comes out.

2 minutes ago, Radian said:

You don't see many like that anymore. Pull out individual fuses to isolate the circuits - although I'd throw the main breaker first. Safety wasn't such a priority when these were installed. The fuse carrier will expose a certain amount of live conductor as it comes out.

Worth an upgrade then 🤣

15 minutes ago, markc said:

Definitely :)

Is it ok just to upgrade the MCBs (I think that's what they're called) and keep the main unit? I'd be happy having a go at this, assuming I could just switch the main switch off and then change the MCBs.

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No.  Any mcb's you find for that will be old / second hand, if you do find any new ones they will silly money. And an rcbo for that is like hens teeth.  Spend the money on a  new up to date consumer unit.

Any particular brands you'd recommend?

Are these any good:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-fortress-16-module-10-way-populated-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit/466px

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-fortress-22-module-12-way-populated-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit-with-spd/208kr

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

I have fitted many of the SF BG boards, nothing to complain about 

My favourite if money no object is Hager (what i have in my house)

Thanks - am looking at this unit:

image.thumb.png.3d4e02f15cfb1faf86592022ab7a30d2.png

Does this look ok as a replacement?

Do you think I need to order any extra MCBs etc?