Local IP failure

2 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

As the wife pointed out to me. It’s likely I’ll peg it first so who deals with all this complexity after I’ve gone 😂 

That’s exactly what our old friend Jeremy Harris said (and ditched his complex weather compensating IT driven heating controls and installed a room stat.) 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

As the wife pointed out to me. It’s likely I’ll peg it first so who deals with all this complexity after I’ve gone

Does not matter who goes first its the after you have gone bit that matters and is a real challenge - documentation obviously helps. For those creating code you don't just need to maintain the target device but also the development environment, which is increasingly difficult given the continual need to move it from one PC to the next or keep a special PC with it on just in case. 

Sure but it matters to my wife 😂 

I’ve not made a final decision on whether we’ll add home automation to the house and if we do how much and what technology. Previously it was a mixture of stuff including some homebrew stuff. That worked for me but didn’t for anyone else in the house 😂 

Edited by Kelvin

Well I’ve not had any strange local IP failure since I originally posted .

HA all good ( though z wave can be slow to respond - but zingbee ( front row to matter ) - might get introduced ) 

raspberry pi’s all good ( mainly music players ) - rock steady reliability.

My own heating control via HA - no issues .

Home grown stuff pretty good Id say .

Tesla PowerWall also very reliable .

Solaredge battery … well , they dick around with it constantly. Every few weeks I seem to have to open a ticket with an issue .

Lighting triggered by cctv rather than motion sensors a vast improvement.

So it’s all good ….. until it goes wrong 🙄