Rot or Not?

TomTom1982

8 minutes ago, markc said:

Im going to say neither wet or dry rot, looks more like someone has made that hole either intentionally or accidentally.

Interesting thought and actually of the stuff that came down I didn't actually see any flakes of wood or the likes that would have come from it.

1 hour ago, markc said:

Im going to say neither wet or dry rot, looks more like someone has made that hole either intentionally or accidentally.

I would agree. The 'exit wound' is wider on the underside of the floorboard - as you'd expect from a blunt trauma from above.

21 minutes ago, Radian said:

I would agree. The 'exit wound' is wider on the underside of the floorboard - as you'd expect from a blunt trauma from above.

Thanks its just the area surrounding it is darker than the rest of the wood, it also feels a bit brittle but that might be due to the fact its near the edge of the hole. Just stressing me as above it is hardwood as you can see it has screeding and a mesh ... thing.

6 hours ago, TomTom1982 said:

I was wondering if anyone can advise me on what i'm looking at here?

A few more panoramic photos showing what is above and below would help towards reaching a reasoned diagnosis.

Has the room above been used as a bathroom in the past.. what do you know abiout the history of that part of the house?

The metal lath is a bit of a puzzler for example.

49 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

A bodge to cover the hole?. I think it’s just broken, a shake in the wood or twisted grain (split) that has given way due to a point load. If it were me I would find a similar type of wood, cut the hole out square (jigsaw)  fit a support piece underneath and fashion youre  new piece to fit the hole.

Edited by joe90

41 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

A few more panoramic photos showing what is above and below would help towards reaching a reasoned diagnosis.

Has the room above been used as a bathroom in the past.. what do you know abiout the history of that part of the house?

Thanks Gus so it used to be the kitchen way way back. It's now our dining room. When we moved in we had the floors ripped up and hardwood put down, I suspect it was then that lath was put down (at a guess) as they used a ton of leveling screed on the floor before putting down the flooring with that hole I suspect they had to cover it or the leveling stuff would have gone through.

I've added a couple of photos showing roughly where it is on the floor above and then where that sits in the basement.

PXL_20221108_142524253_exported_21166~2.jpg

PXL_20221108_142524253_exported_41727~2.jpg

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Ah, didn’t realise it had been screeeded and flooring over, is the floor spongy above? Just put a packer in the hole the same thickness as the floorboard and fix a support piece over it.

No not spongy at all it's solid, the floorboard when pressed from the basement does feel a bit fragile/ crumbly. It's all come to light because I hit the lath and plaster in the basement with the top of a lader in and it all came down. Sods law its 1 week before we have a surveyor coming through having sold the house.

1 hour ago, TomTom1982 said:

Thanks Gus so it used to be the kitchen way way back. It's now our dining room. When we moved in we had the floors ripped up and hardwood put down, I suspect it was then that lath was put down (at a guess) as they used a ton of leveling screed on the floor before putting down the flooring with that hole I suspect they had to cover it or the leveling stuff would have gone through.

Yes there may have been a water leak from the old kitchen, that said it doesn't look like it has impacted on the floor joists structurally.

With my SE hat on I need to say that screeds are heavy so you should check this out in terms of the main floor joists being able to carry the extra load from the screed. Have put this caveat in as have seen some floors that run off level by 75mm say on old tenement flats.. thus a 75mm thick levelling screed is going to add a fair weight!

In terms of moving forward (SE view accepted) I would also put some noggings (dwangs) in under the weak spots in the floor boards with D4 expanding Pu glue to make sure you don't get a squeeky floor later on. What you are aiming to do is to just support the edges of the floor boards where they could rub together later on. Fifteen minutes work and less than a tenner to avoid that annoying squeek.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1