Best low TOG underlay for UFH carpet?

ashthekid

I'm looking for the best low TOG underlay for my carpet that is going down on an underfloor heated base.

I've been told by the UFH company that i shouldn't go above 2.5 TOG rating for both the carpet and underlay together which I know is going to be quite difficult.

I have found an underlay by Duralay called Heatflow which is 6.1mm and tog rated at 0.75.

And then there is Tredaire King which is 8.3mm and tog rated at 0.8.

Anyone recommend anything else or used one of these before?

• 2 months later...

We did something a little unusual with our carpet over a UFH floor and it's worked out very well. It might not be to everyone's tastes but, as a last minute change from the planned ceramic tiles we were going to lay, we just stuck down a low tog carpet directly to the floor. i.e. no underlay. The reason for this was the awful acoustics in the room after it was glazed and screeded... it instantly sounded just like a cheap 70's reverb and we knew it would be even worse once tiled. As a half-way house between fully cushioned carpet and hard floor finish, I think it's a valid (albeit unusual) choice for some applications.

Carpets are sometimes available in two versions, foam backed and hessian backed. The hessian backed has lower TOG but the small print in the contract with the showroom frequently says they can supply either. You might want to do something about that.

Then some places say the max 2.5 includes the 18mm chipboard if it's a timber floor. 

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/conundrum-ufh-tog-values-and-underlay-for-carpet.537212/

Edited by Temp

Yes, and the db numbers are not linear they are logarithmic. 3 db difference is  twice the volume.  For example 42db reduction is 4 times less noise getting through than 36db.

The thing is our hearing is also not linear so that difference is not as obvious as you might imagine.