Newbie doing first self-build on 'hard mode'

Drellingore

Hi all, new member here!

I'm working on the conversion of two barns - one into a family home, the other into an annexe/holiday let. We're doing this on 'hard mode' though, as it's in an Area Of Outstanding Natural Beauty, one of the barns is a Non-Designated Heritage Asset, and it's in Groundwater Source Protection Zone 1.

I previously ran an IT consultancy which I sold, and my other half is an interior architect and designer. I'm used to working in teams with a lot of buzz and hubbub, and working solo on this has been a bit lonely. Hence I'm hoping that this forum offers a bit of community :)

Hello! You'll find plenty of good advice here, people save a lot of money by asking questions. I've done a stable conversion in a Conservation Area, so I know exactly what you mean about 'hardmode'. I'm doing the extension now and its miles easier as my brain is processing the decisions for the second time.

Edited by Jilly

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

I'm not really sure where to post 'random project updates for people that are bored enough to care', but I figured this was as good a place as any.

We've just had our second planning application validated (not yet approved!), and it's now online on the district council website. Our previous application was a bonkers attempted to see whether a strawbale super-eco house would outweigh the priority of a non-designated heritage asset in a balanced planning decision. The short answer is: no, it does not. So the latest one is much more sensitive to the NDHA and its timber frame. We've had some help this time from the fine folks at Footprint, who have won a RIBA award amongst other things.

image.thumb.jpeg.2dc3ce80ccbaef70c8bee0ce7e3569e6.jpeg

I'd be interested to read what people think of the planning, heritage, energy statements, and the proposed works. Those were all authored by myself, and I'd like to think I did a much more thorough job of the planning statement than the consultant I paid for last time.

Edited by Drellingore
  • Like 1

Wow what a lovely project (as one who loves woodwork and heritage buildings), it will make a huge statement relating to the heritage of the site and the planners would be bonkers to make you change it, best of luck, keep us posted, I will be following this closely 👍

I was suprised by the condition no cars to be parked visible to the road 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Ask to start a blog in here.

I had been considering that (both elsewhere and on here), but the idea of commitment to updating it put me off... It'd probably be a good idea for keeping people abreast of things, and also for posterity!

Who does one ask?