Off to Stockton on Tees .. to buy a bath.. but

Gus Potter

Have seen an ovalish stone resin bath that we quite like, one of the ones that goes all the way to the floor so no bath panel you can take off to get to the trap or to inspect. The edge will be left clear of the wall. The bathroom is on the ground floor. If the first floor then any leaks would manifest in the ceiling giving you a chance to fix it before you wreck the timber floor etc.

Minded to do floor mounted taps.. look like a street stand pipe.. just a tad more expensive. Also may do wall mounted taps.

Problem is that the waste pipe needs to run in a 150mm deep solum space so can't get under the floor if it later leaks.. plan for the worst.. hope for the best.

Also have under floor heating (wet) and all tiled.. any bath waste leaks are thus not easily found and access is a problem.

Was thinking.. can you get a flexible pipe you connect to the bath outlet and run that to the trap.

The idea is that you would be able to tip the bath up to have a look underneath where there are no tiles.. don't think the bath will move as it is pretty heavy so won't be tipping it up weekly.

Not sure if this is daft or not?

This sort of bath is normally connected with a flexi waste pipe.  You stand the bath on blocks a few inches above the floor, connect the flexi waste then remove the blocks and sit the bath on the floor. 

Use a top access click clack waste fitting.

• Like 1

@Gus Potter It sounds like we’ve got pretty much what you plan on doing. Flexiwaste as described by @ProDave.

Our bath sits on tiles and I was equally concerned about leaks. Sure enough one manifested itself after the first filling, evident by water on the tiles around the base of the bath. Despite the weight of the bath (220kg iirc) it was easy enough to lift one end and put blocks of wood underneath then lift the other end to do the same - rinse and repeat until it’s high enough to get to the plumbing. Turns out it wasn’t my plumbing that was at fault but the click clack waste fitted by the supplier that was leaking. I removed and refitted that properly and it’s been fine ever since 👍

B13E0CB9-29AB-412E-9C9C-FC00CCE276C8.jpeg.d054c3d5d7a38155477f0b243f901712.jpeg

• Like 1

That’s the same type of bath we are looking to install in a few years 

I have the same worries and plan to fit one of these

https://shellystore.co.uk/product/shelly-flood/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItpf89O2E-wIVW-3tCh05jgcsEAQYASABEgI24fD_BwE

under the bath, battery will last a year so any leak will materialise before the battery runs out.

£25 gives peace of mind and saves long term decor damage

• Like 1

On 28/10/2022 at 22:17, ProDave said:

This sort of bath is normally connected with a flexi waste pipe. 

That's great Dave, thanks for that.

On 29/10/2022 at 00:13, Russdl said:

put blocks of wood underneath then lift the other end to do the same - rinse and repeat

Thanks Russdl.

All been of great help, know how to do it now as was stuck!

One other thing, obvious but I’ll say it anyway. All penetrations through the tiles that are under the bath are surrounded by a little silicon wall so that any leaking water doesn’t get down the hole before it shows itself under the bath edge. 

• Thanks 1