valleys: felt on top of \ or under the boards

luk4sh31

Hello.

I have new valley installed last year for extension and the roofers put membrane on top of the boards before lead work. I was told recnelty that you should not used breathable felt on top of the valleys when laying lead. Can someone else share their views in this matter. thanks 

6 hours ago, luk4sh31 said:

Hello.

I have new valley installed last year for extension and the roofers put membrane on top of the boards before lead work. I was told recnelty that you should not used breathable felt on top of the valleys when laying lead. Can someone else share their views in this matter. thanks 

I thought the membrane should drape in to the valley gutter, so any rain or snow blown under tiles runs down into the valley gutters.

DIAGRAM_D85_Lead_Valleys.thumb.png.7daf21c559d5149f70e5e6e351d8506d.png

5 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

grp valleys are better than lead and cheaper.

no issue with membrane below a valley. belt and braces etc

There is, breathable membrane should never be used under lead as it sweats badly. Lead manufacturers recommend building paper.

25 minutes ago, Temp said:

I thought the membrane should drape in to the valley gutter, so any rain or snow blown under tiles runs down into the valley gutters.

You should have a run of membrane under the the valley and then membrane should lap the grp/lead etc