Should windows be installed with any kind of DPC or similar?

Oxbow16

Hi

I recently had some new windows fitted.  The old ones were wooden and very much on their last legs with plenty of rot.  Think they were installed in the 70s.  Th new ones are aluminium.  The fitters simply removed the old, put in the new, and foamed the gaps around where the windows meet the walls.  

I really don't know much about windows, and have been looking into this but not finding any answers...  Should there be any kind of damp proofing, barrier, or anything along those lines between the walls and windows?  Or have they done it right?  I note that the old windows had a kind of thick type of felt above them and bedded into the walls, but this was cut away during the fitting. 

Can anyone please tell me if I'm worrying about nothing or whether there should be something there?

Many thanks

Usually a DPC would already exist on properties, although older ones would need to be checked. Technically, not really required for Aluminium windows but you could call it good practice to install with DPC if it doesn't exist.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @craig

Ours is an old property, but the window spaces were enlarged - I think in the 70s.  It wasn't done sympathetically.  They just took away the old stone and then built up and squared up with bricks, breeze blocks, and whatever they had to hand by the looks of things.  All very haphazard looking too because they rendered over the outside and plastered inside after, so paid no attention to aesthetics.  

So there was the thick black bituminous stuff around the wooden windows, but that was cut away by the installers.  And they did not do anything other than use foam and leave us to make good (which was the arrangement).

So from what you said, would I be right in summarising that it's not bad enough for me to be asking them why they didn't use a DPC or anything, and I can just move on? 

Many thanks   

6 minutes ago, craig said:

DPM is for rising dampness and not for water proofing, As the window has an aluminium frame, DPM is not necessary as dampness cannot rise into aluminium.

Simpler just to move on.

Confusing DPC with DPM. DPM goes in the floor not a jamb-which would normally incorporate a DPC where there is a cavity wall and if there is a potential route for moisture from the outside leaf to the inside leaf.