Daikin ASHP outdoor temperature over-reading

Bob77

I have recently had a Daikin low-temp split heat pump fitted and it is partially commissioned (UFH not connected yet). I have noticed that the outdoor temperature reading is often too high - it was as high as 25C in the last couple of days and it certainly hasn't been that warm! I notice in the manual it refers to the temperature sensor being mounted on a north facing wall but the only north facing wall on my house adjoins the boundary so wasn't suitable for mounting the outdoor unit. So it faces slightly south of east and gets the morning sun on it.

Am I right in thinking this is likely to mess up weather compensation? Eventually we hope to have some planting to screen the outdoor unit (at a safe distance) which should shade it to some degree but is there any other solution to this? It seems like on cold but sunny winter days the ASHP is going to think it is much warmer than it really is, and reduce the water temp accordingly.

The sensor is probably inside a little plastic box and a little sun shining on it could well raise the temperature in that box to 25 degrees or more.

I can't see what would have been wrong with a north facing wall on a boundary, it would not have got any sun so would be a more true reflection of outside temperature.

25 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I can't see what would have been wrong with a north facing wall on a boundary, it would not have got any sun so would be a more true reflection of outside temperature.

We have extended right up to the boundary on the north side, so there is not enough physical space for the unit (it would either be overhanging onto the pavement, and be exposed to damage from passers-by, or above a pitched roof and a PITA to access for maintenance).

I'll just have to try to ensure that there is enough planting to shade the unit.

Cable length can be quite long - so shouldn't be an issue extending the cable length.  Sun on it is no use, will make WC uncontrolled, which wont help you.  Relocating it, is the only way to fix it, relying on plants isn't a good fix.

Over or under reading consistently, isn't an issue, as you will be fine tuning the flow temps and curve when you commission.

3 hours ago, JohnMo said:

There is no maintenance

Not what I was told by the installer who suggested that putting it above a pitched roof with no easy access would be a bad idea. Maybe he just didn't want to go up there! In any case I didn't really want the fan unit in full view on the side of the house facing the neighbours, it seemed better to have it where it can be hidden from view a bit.

Anyway I will wait and see how the temperature goes. Hopefully on sunny days we will gain enough heat through the windows to make up for any loss in heating from the weather curve!

7 hours ago, Bob77 said:

Not what I was told by the installer who suggested that putting it above a pitched roof with no easy access would be a bad idea. Maybe he just didn't want to go up there! In any case I didn't really want the fan unit in full view on the side of the house facing the neighbours, it seemed better to have it where it can be hidden from view a bit.

Anyway I will wait and see how the temperature goes. Hopefully on sunny days we will gain enough heat through the windows to make up for any loss in heating from the weather curve!

Of course the installer will tell you it needs maintenance, they want you to call them back once a year and pay them handsomely for the privilege.

🤣

The temperature sensor can be remote from the fan unit, it's normally a small box 75x75x25mm sort of size.  This is my temp sensor the small white spec.

IMG_20220114_085531.thumb.jpg.dfffc2013963b1ee3fa1ca2c988b24d3.jpg

Your fan unit does need maintenance but not the temp sensor.

• Like 1