Getting a builder

3 hours ago, nod said:

Plus 1

Good builders will have ongoing jobs that they will be happy to show you round 

Plus 2.

We found our builder by driving around looking for building sites with nice houses. When I told them I was going to need a builder they all hapilly showed me around. Nothing like an unannounced inspection for getting a good idea what they are like.

One or two sites were horror stories. Look for attention to details like air tightness, neat plumbing or evidence they are protecting wood flooring or stair cases.

Try and ask a few questions. Had a few tell me "You dont need to worry about that we take care of it". Others took time to explain or show me how they were doing it on the house they were working on.

• Like 1

I should add that although we found our builder by driving around he still had to out bid the others that quoted.

When you get quotes don't rush to accept the cheapest. Its important to check they have all quoted for the same thing. One may have allowed less for the kitchen or nothing for your driveway and fencing. It took quite a while and many questions to make the quotes we had comparable. If you plan to provide a lot of second fix items make sure they include for fitting if you expect them to do that. Some people prefer to hire their own trades for that. 

You could ask builders if they use a tame Quantity Surveyor to do detailed quotes or just the back of an envelope.