Armoured cable & differential movement risk

Jilly

The armoured cable has had to go under a corner of the extension into the stable and on it's path it crosses clay heaveboard (polystyrene stuff, the concrete beam and into a hole drilled in the old slab of the conversion in places it got wrapped in foam pipe insulation fr some reason.  I've got it in my head wires shouldn't touch insulation and the builder thinks I'm bonkers. They've put a lintel in the extension over the services but he has also set it all in cement. 

I'm here wondering how its going to 'move'. The foundations of stable are 600m, the piles in the extension are 6m (!) and there had to be 'compressible material' between the new building and the old foundations. 

Are there any restrictions on what can touch the armoured cable? and does it need to 'move' a little in these circumstances or am I overthinking? 

Edited by Jilly

• Jilly changed the title to Armoured cable & differential movement risk

Don’t worry about it. Loads of armoured cables in industrial sites that are encased in concrete, tarmac etc. as for differential movement, unless you have a big localised shear move then it will be no problem. Armoured cable will stretch without and compress without issue. Unless you hit it with a digger or pick it’s going to outlive you and many more generations to follow 

• Thanks 1