Airtightness tape at windows / cavity closers

Moonshine

I have ordered a load of airtightness tape to do my windows with a typical junction as below. 

20220923_074402_compress67.thumb.jpg.b57fc1249a18bcad0dad4ccc961be58a.jpg

My plan is to clean the closer up, and tape the following places.

1) window frame to cavity closer

2) corners of cavity closer

3) cavity closer to masonry (with primer sprayed onto the masonry)

Is there any tips anyone has, also not sure how the corners of the cavity closer will work taped as its ribbed and air will pass under the tape. I could fill the gaps in the closer with builders silocone and tape over when set.

Another example of how mine ended up.

window_detail_3.thumb.jpg.a0f2c771b250ff8d1c43cbaaf9628480.jpg

TIP: It is a lot easier if you buy the tape intended for windows. The backing paper is split so you tear off the thin bit allowing you to stick it to the window without it sticking to everything else, then tear off the rest to stick it to the wall.

• Like 1

I used a bit of 9mm ply* to mark a pencil line around the frame as a guide to make sure the tape would be covered by the plasterboard.

*with a couple of nails knocked through and bent over to sit on the outer edge of the window frame, otherwise you don't have enough hands...

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

TIP: It is a lot easier if you buy the tape intended for windows. The backing paper is split so you tear off the thin bit allowing you to stick it to the window without it sticking to everything else, then tear off the rest to stick it to the wall.

yeah, that Tescon Profil tape does make it very easy. although I believe it's a 12mm split so if you're using 9mm plasterboard in your reveals there's not a lot of room for error before the tape is visible over the skim! luckily I'll be using 12mm plasterboard and a 3mm skim so even with my dodgy taping skills I should be ok. 😉