Which qualification needed?

treehugger

A structural engineer is someone who is a Chartered Engineer (CEng) and a member of either the Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE) or of the Institution of Structural Engineers (MIStructE).

Their post nominal would be CEng MICE or CEng MIStructE.

Is this to check the house generally or just for the design of the crack stitching bars? 

• Thanks 1

Need the structural engineer to do some work. House is bulging out at the back and subsiding at the back. It's in a bad way. Talked to plenty of people and tried to get a recommendation for a structural engineer, have sort of got some but am giving it a few more days. 

30 minutes ago, treehugger said:

Need the structural engineer to do some work. House is bulging out at the back and subsiding at the back. It's in a bad way. Talked to plenty of people and tried to get a recommendation for a structural engineer, have sort of got some but am giving it a few more days. 

So not really a structural engineer, sounds more like a rebuild job with some ground stabilisation or underpinning so yes there is an element of SE but the first task would be to determine the cause of the problem. Again some better info and ideally photos would help

• 2 months later...

Had engineer survey, crack stitching and tie ins required amongst other things. Does anyone know what certificate a qualifications a builder needs to have to do this work?  Helifix helibars have been mentioned by the engineer. I understand the firm that does this work needs to be certified, for purposes of getting insurance on the house afterwards. Ta. 

Dont see they need any qualifications. Dont think mine did. Though they did from the company that made the steel bars.

The structural guy came up with a scheme, and the chaps installed it as per drawing. Wasnt exactly rocket science!

My insurance dont know, nor need to know. But i wasnt making a claim either.

• 2 weeks later...