Plant Room Door

Mr Blobby

Our plant room will be at the rear of our house.  Mains water supply will go into here. 

It will be 2970 x 1092 and house just the UVC, buffer tank and plumbing manifolds.  Monobloc ASHP directly outside so any internal ASHP gubbins in the plant room too. 

Ideally UVC to be 400 litres so diameter will be about 710 mm.

Architect thinks plant room access should be by external door, thus:

image.thumb.png.99296868465dd2f76260e2e371fa3e94.png

Being obsessive about cost and airtightness, I think the plant room could be accessed internally through a door to the adjacent storage (boot) room. 

What should we do?  Internal or external door to the plant room? 

Edited by Mr Blobby

7 minutes ago, Andehh said:

I would want internal door/internal room.

Especially if fuse box would go there as well?

Yes if consumer unit was there it would need to have internal door (I think this is building regs?).   Main consumer unit will be in comms room elsewhere in house (but having internal door to plant room gives option for secondary CU for kitchen?)

Edited by Mr Blobby

I'd go internall acres as well, however, you'll lose a chunk of room in either your pantry or closet. Thank about that.

Also, you'll be creating a room within a room. Check with building control (shouldn't be an issue as it's not a habitable space)

16 minutes ago, Conor said:

I'd go internall acres as well, however, you'll lose a chunk of room in either your pantry or closet. Thank about that.

I was thinking door opening into plant room, that would leave about 2 metres (by 1.1) for UVC, buffer tank and plumbng manifolds.  That's enough room surely? 

15 minutes ago, Andehh said:

Could do something fancy with an internal opening door into it, then use the door as hanging space or small shelve storage? For shoe room... 

My thoughts exactly.  The 'boot room' will soon become a dumping ground with shelving, so maybe even have some wheeled storage against the door to the plant room.

I also figured the mains water stop valve would be in the plant room so internal access just seems like a better idea?

Edited by Mr Blobby

If it were me I’d bin the external door and take out the wall between plant room and pantry. 

The rooms can then be divided up with large sliding wardrobe doors or similar. They hide a multitude of sins and permit easy access to everything in the plant room. 

CE7C8CF3-2207-40CA-9126-E67AFAEAB605.thumb.jpeg.34326827a709c531f4619bd2d85713e2.jpeg

E251F875-AC77-462B-957B-DBBD42195AB9.thumb.jpeg.b8ba9e25323accd15cc7bca8fde9fd5c.jpeg

• Thanks 1

My “plant room” is in my downstairs cloakroom and divided by double doors that look like cupboard doors, plenty of access and internal so no cold bridges and access to everything .

p.S. the washing machine is in there as well 👍

image.jpg

Edited by joe90