Patching a roof from inside

Edward

Hi just after some advice on patching a roof. Its an old house with clay tiles and no felt. A couple of tiles have slipped exposing an area about 500-800mm in length. Gaining access externally will involve scaffolding due to the proximity and height of the hole however this can easily be reached from inside the loft. Am i going to be able to make a temporary repair from inside and if so what materials should i use? I am thinking of using some flashing and some adhesive - would this be the correct materials for the job?

It is possible to replace some tiles from the inside but unlikely if you haven’t done it before.

a sheet of lead or similar could be slid in with some faffing about but you need to remember that the flashing needs to go under the upper tiles and then over the sides and bottom … very difficult from inside. Are you sure you need scaffolding or someone with a spider cherry picker for an hour.

That’s in poor condition, as a temporary measure you could use expanding foam to ‘stick’ things in place and provide some support but you really need to look at a strip and re tile as a good storm could shake a lot of that loose.

• Thanks 1

Seriously with the battens in that state, the whole roof wants stripping and re doing with new battens. There is no quick fix.  Even if you patch that bit, it will likely not be long before another bit fails.

A very quick fix might just be pull the tiles back into place and secure fromt he inside with some squirty expanding foam?

Be VERY careful doing anything at all from the inside, you could dislodge a tile that could slide down and off the roof.  you need the area fenced of or at very least a watcher to keep people well away from where a tile might possibly fall if it goes wrong.

9 hours ago, Temp said:

Don't be tempted to get the whole roof sprayed with foam. Some adverts claim its a cure for slipped tiles but it just makes things harder to fix longer term.

Good point.  My idea was to foam just the bit that has failed as a temporary fix and it is only a small area to strip of the foam when you get a proper repair done.

• Like 3