Getting near kitchen fitting time - MVHR and Extractor working together?

dnb

Is the best practice in these parts to use a recirculating kitchen extractor of some kind (grease trap & carbon filters - any other requirements?) when you have a reasonably air tight house (when the correct doors are fitted - long story...) and MVHR? The extractor will be made to trigger a boost setting on the MVHR as appropriate to clear the results of the "bacon test".

We both like cooking and I refuse to give up fried bacon sandwiches (adding lettuce and tomatoes makes them healthy, doesn't it?) or home made battered fish until there are pressing health concerns so I am keen things get done well without perforating the house unnecessarily. It will be an induction hob. Combustion based things are kept in the garage where they belong.

Thanks for any recent insight. Obviously on a new build it's somewhat dictated by what building control want. So far they've not insisted on a dedicated kitchen extract but we've not really talked about it specifically.

We have lived with a powerful but simple Genvex MVHR system in a largish house since 1995 - it has an integrated extractor with a washable metal grease filter (like fuzzy wire)and a boost button by the hob. Blissfully quiet and it works wonderfully well with no grease build up issues as long as the filter was washed about 3 monthly.

We are intending having similar in our new house build - I have no desire to have a noisy extractor fan or one which recirculates into the room. 

• Like 1