Boundary agreement cost

We had a boundary dispute where we quite amicably agreed the fence was to be the actual boundary. He asked his solicitor to draw up an agreement (which I had to correct a few times as they made references to things not marked on the plan) which will be logged with Land Registry and have now said the cost is £729. I cant help thinking that is majorly excessive, especially considering my solicitor charged me just over £1k when I purchased the plot. I was expecting around £3-400 and just wondered what others thought it should cost?

Cheers

Vijay

That's exactly what I'm going to do but just wondered if I was being stupid thinking £729 is excessive but the neighbour has already got shitty, telling me to stop fussing when I said that seems excessive.  Not sure if it includes the LR fees which you'er right, is £90 according to their website

Without knowing exactly what was done, it does sound high. We registered a new bit of land we bought from our neighbour, and I think the all-up costs were around £450.

That said, I suspect it'll be hard to argue if costs weren't agreed upfront. Also, your neighbour is on the hook for the full amount, so there'll likely be a lot of bad will generated if you refuse to cough up half.

The difference to you sounds like a bit over £150. I'd personally consider paying it with a smile and a thank you, and chalk it up to the cost of maintaining good relations with your neighbours. 

He's selling the land so won't be my neighbour lol  I don't mind paying but I just hate being ripped off. The solicitor kept making mistakes which meant things had to go back and forth and I don't see why I should be paying for that. Around the £450 mark sounds about right to me for a basic agreement.

Just reading the title, I had a number of £500+ in my head.

Given that you are in London, I would think £729 may be OK.

If you want a check phone up a couple of others and ask them for the approx cost of a basic boundary agreement.

F

It's in the East Midlands and is a very basic agreement between 2 agreeing parties - so how can they justify anything more than £450-500.

I've rang my original solicitor who dealt with my plot purchase and am waiting for a quote

On 09/06/2017 at 13:40, Vijay said:

It's in the East Midlands and is a very basic agreement between 2 agreeing parties - so how can they justify anything more than £450-500.

I've rang my original solicitor who dealt with my plot purchase and am waiting for a quote

Apols. Thought you were down South.

Called Land Registry this morning who told me solicitors are not needed at all. Their website says "there is no prescribed form for a written boundary agreement" and gives an example of one. The neighbours solicitor has copied it exactly and putting a £729 price tag on it. I've now told the neighbour I will happily prepare the form and agreement if he wants and we can share the £90 LR fee but I will not be paying for an extortionate solicitor where it's not needed