do micro inverters need to be g98 compliant ?

morg-ris

8 minutes ago, morg-ris said:

Hi all do micro inverters need to be  g98, Ive not found any  micro inverters that detail if they comply but lots advertised any help ?

It is not so much compliant with G98 but MCS compliant although I appreciate some do state G98 compliance but that isn't really correct.

Any inverter connected to the grid should be MCS compliant.

However, I have some micro inverters that I bought for experimenting and they are neither, however, they have anti-islanding mode which was enough for me to use for experiments and tests.

52 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

It is not so much compliant with G98 but MCS compliant although I appreciate some do state G98 compliance but that isn't really correct.

Any inverter connected to the grid should be MCS compliant.

I dont think thats correct!! To connect to the grid your inverter needs to be ENA G98/G99 compliant, no MCS required.

MCS is an optional quality certification that allows you to get paid for export generation.

We had G99 approval to connect a second G98 inverter and theres no MCS involved.

1 hour ago, morg-ris said:

Many thanks for your reply , Im new to solar so its MCS compliant I should be looking for on certification , lots of cheap chinese ones or cheap second hand solaredge on eday any thoughts ?

I bought some of the cheap Chinese ones, they are not certified compliant with anything, but that is not to say they could not comply.

In an ideal world they would not be connected, but my little 120W and 260W grid-tied inverters from AliExpress seem to work quite well, apart from if you accidentally hose them, they blow up...

As @Dillsue says above I am not actually correct in what I said earlier, for connection, yes, it should be G98 or G99 compliant, that is perfectly correct, if it is for some funding, grants, payment and link in with your utility co. it should be MCS certified installers/approved kit. It has been a long day and I have spend 2 days sorting our solar designs for a charity with government funding who need to use fully MCS accredited installers and kit, so I had MCS on my mind and lost sight of the question it seems. 

Not sure about g98 but CE marking is being replaced by UKCA thanks to Brexit. The deadline for that is approaching..

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-ukca-marking

The UKCA marking can be used now. However, to allow businesses time to adjust, you will still be able to use the CE marking until 11pm on 31 December 2022 in most cases

5 hours ago, morg-ris said:

Thanks both , on micro inverter certs it only states CE ive not found any that say g98 compliant . If so is CE ok or what does everybody else use ?

If you want to connect to the UK grid, Im pretty sure the kit you use has to have a manufscturers cert on the ENA type approved database. CE/UKCAS/MCS has nothing to do with the ENA type approval.

Best thing for you to do is work out who your DNO is then ask them. Id be comfortable betting my kids that on the G98 notification or the G99 application form that the principle thing they want to know about is the ENA type approval cert.

8 hours ago, morg-ris said:

Shading , ive got south,south,west facing but tree cover till about 14:30 , im looking at installing a new string on a new canopy on side of house which would get unbroken sun till sundown.

AFAIK your options are micro inverters, Tigo optimisers or SolarEdge optimisers. There maybe other individual panel power processing systems but those seem to be the common ones.

All will help with shading but wont elimnate the problem. If your array is shaded til 14.30 your not going to get much generation in the winter. Is it possible to prune the trees a little or relocate the panels?