Package Treatment Plant - drain to ditch or discharge pipe

Alan Ambrose

Hi,

I don't have previous experience with package treatment plants. We have the choice (and permission) for draining to either a 300mm twinwall discharge pipe which runs along the back of our plot or to a ditch at the front of the plot. Ignoring levels for the moment (we have not accurately measured but we believe they're about the same) and access for the sludge tanker, is there an advantage of one over the other? I guess I'm also asking if there's typically any residual smell which would be bothersome - which would argue for the pipe?

TIA, Alan 

• 3 weeks later...

when you say 'package treatment plants' are you talking about modern sewage treatment plants? if so, the outflow is pretty clean and shouldn't smell at all. if it smells then your STP isn't working properly! we will be discharging ours in to a ditch that runs outside our property.

I think location matters as well as I believe there are different regulations in Scotland.

3 hours ago, Ralph said:

As long as the ditch has a continual flow of water there should be no problem.

Yes, but, our ditch is dry fir a few months of the year and acceptable for discharge from a STP as long as it’s through a rumble drain which is a perforated pipe within drainage stone.