PAS 24/DOC Q windows worth it or not?

ruggers

I'm looking to build a house next year and have had my plans and building regs accepted pre June 15th.

I've been obtaining some quotes for UPVC double glazed windows and came across some questions from the various suppliers.

1. I was asked if I need PAS24/DOC Q specified windows. So one company is quoting without saying they don't make a great deal of difference and if someone wants in they'll get in but it does add a lot onto the price. Another has said it's a new build you will need them and quoted for it. My regs/plans don't specify that it was required and have been passed.

Is PAS24 part of DOC Q or are they two separate things?

2. Do these standards just relate to the locks and frames or to the glazing also? Is it worth is or in reality no? 

I once seena  video showing a standard lock being broken into vs an ultion lock. Standard was broke in under 10 seconds.

I’m pretty sure your front door, back door and downstairs windows all need to be Document Q compliant. Which essentially means PAS24. The various standards overlap each other and are pretty circular. This cover frames, locks and glass. I would expect it to also be a requirement of your warranty provider. And in the longer term could be a feature of your home insurance cover. 

image.thumb.png.acf13ae62cf57a86c1abf5c45cbc21f3.png

Edited by Nick Laslett
  • Thanks 1

Bottom line, they don’t need to be Pas24 but your insurance will likely be invalidated if not “in line” with the standard set out above.

You should now go with the standard, it wasn’t the case before but it now is. Go with the supplier advising you that you should, sounds like they know what they’re talking about.

He’s right in that if they want in, they’ll get in. However, it makes their job a lot harder to get in. Better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by craig
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. Strange how my plans were passed with no mention of it and very little detail about windows. I will make enquiries. I couldn't find much mentioning if it also covered the glass which seems a big benefit if it does. Uprated locks seem a benefit in a rural area.

There seems to be a few types of glass.

• Standard
  • Toughened
  • Laminated.
  • Other?