Sleeved and non-sleeved plugs

I bought some 5A plugs from Amazon for some lights that I want to run on a 5A lighting circuit. I was about to rewrite the light fittings with these plugs  when I noticed that the L and N pins weren’tsleeved. I think this means that a child with small fingers could partially unplug the plug, touch the pins which are still partially plugged in, and electrocute themselves, right?

i found this online:

In 1984 BS1363 was amended with a requirement that the line and neutral pins should have an insulation sleeve. 30 plus years later, equipment fitted with non-sleeved plugs is still found in use. What should you do if you find an non-sleeved plug during a PAT inspection?

Plugs sold in the UK have been covered by statutory legislation since 1987. This legally requires them to meet the BS1363 British Standard.

so Amazon are selling ilegal plugs:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruisita-Pieces-Adaptor-Household-Lighting/dp/B08P154R3R/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?crid=2KEU9G4KT1BNT&keywords=5a+plug+uk&qid=1659560100&sprefix=5A+plug%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-10

or am I missing something?

That is bizarre. Amazon also sells sleeved versions of a 5A plug, I just didn’t think to check this when I bought them.

i now have another query: the light fitting in re wiring had a shuco two pin plug. I chopped that off and now realise this isn’t earthed. It just has a blue and a brown insulated wire. Is that a problem?

If the light fitting was made with a 2 core flex without an earth core then it will be double insulated and not require an earth connection.  There will usually be the square within a square symbol to show it is double insulated.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I bought some 5A plugs from Amazon for some lights that I want to run on a 5A lighting circuit. I was about to rewrite the light fittings with these plugs  when I noticed that the L and N pins weren’tsleeved. I think this means that a child with small fingers could partially unplug the plug, touch the pins which are still partially plugged in, and electrocute themselves, right?

i found this online:

In 1984 BS1363 was amended with a requirement that the line and neutral pins should have an insulation sleeve. 30 plus years later, equipment fitted with non-sleeved plugs is still found in use. What should you do if you find an non-sleeved plug during a PAT inspection?

Plugs sold in the UK have been covered by statutory legislation since 1987. This legally requires them to meet the BS1363 British Standard.

so Amazon are selling ilegal plugs:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruisita-Pieces-Adaptor-Household-Lighting/dp/B08P154R3R/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?crid=2KEU9G4KT1BNT&keywords=5a+plug+uk&qid=1659560100&sprefix=5A+plug%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-10

or am I missing something?

I can't see what your missing.

That is surprising. Not 100% certain but as far as I know:

* BS1363 only applies to 13A square pin plugs and as you say the current version requires them to be sleeved.

* BS546 is the (older) standard for round pin plugs. There was a later update to allow for sleeved plugs & shuttered sockets but for whatever reason this was optional - unlike the equivalent update to BS1363 which was mandatory.

* BS7671 allows for use of BS546 sockets on lighting circuits, it specifies in a domestic setting the sockets must be shuttered. However of course this standard only covers the fixed installation, so plugs on lamps etc are out of scope.

* The "Plugs and Sockets regulations" only applies to domestic use, and it allows either BS1363 or BS546 plugs so long as they comply with the relevant BS. Interestingly the second part of that legislation only allows manufacturers to supply (domestic) appliances fitted with 1363 plugs, which is why if you want a lamp with a round pin you have to fit it yourself.

My hunch is therefore they can sell them because they comply with BS546, and there are some circumstances where a BS546 plug can legally be used. They are presumably some fraction of a penny cheaper to make. 

There are of course general provisions in various electrical safety legislation that require taking reasonable precautions and IMO if someone was injured it'd be hard to argue good reasons for fitting a new plug with unsleeved pins.

It has been good practice to use sleeved BS546 plugs for new equipment even in industrial settings for a long time. Round pins (mostly 15A) are very common in theatre and in the early 00s we'd use sleeved for most new kit & repairs but still sign off unsleeved when inspecting existing kit.

IMHO in a domestic setting unsleeved plugs are unsafe, regardless of the legalities. I would return them and get sleeved versions.

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

I suppose the question is, assuming that the unfused plugs are supplied with a 6amp fuse in the consumer unit, will 240 volts at 6 amps injure a person?

6 amps is more than enough to kill a person. In fact you could probably kill a human chain of several people. Risk of death for an adult begins around 50mA.

Of course in a modern install you will be protected by the 30mA RCD in the consumer unit - the fuse (circuit breaker) is there to protect the wiring from overheating and fire.

But I would not rely on the RCD alone, particularly as @Adsibobsays the pins are more likely to be touched by a child, if at all.

9 hours ago, Marvin said:

I suppose the question is, assuming that the unfused plugs are supplied with a 6amp fuse in the consumer unit, will 240 volts at 6 amps injure a person?

Yes. That is perfectly capable of killing you.