Opinions please on several aspects of new windows installation

Oxbow16

Hi

I recently had some new aluminium windows fitted and there’s a few things I wanted to check with you guys as to whether they look ok / normal, so i know whether I need to take them up with the installers.  

1. Two windows have a lot of expanding foam and frame packers underneath…  Is it a usual amount?

2. The frame fixings on some windows are quite close to the frame corners, the nearest being 50mm.  I’ve read in the past they shouldn’t be too close.  Why shouldn’t they be and what are the potential problems if they are?  

3. Also on frame fixings, is there a specific part of the frame that should be used?  Should they go through the aluminium or the thermal break, or either?

4. Is it normal to have dust and specs of dirt inside the glazed units, on the spacer bars, but possibly on the glass itself?  

5. And is it possible to confirm from photos whether these are warm edge spacer bars?  Also curious as to what the 45 degree joins are with the holes in them?

Photos below and happy to take more.

Many thanks 

IMG_20220801_135613967.jpg

IMG_20220801_135659096.jpg

Looks like your window could have been a inch taller!  I expect they measured the old ones and didn't account for the difference in cill profiles. Just trim back the foam and packers and point-up the gap (looks like you have a bit of pointing to do on the stonework anyway).  I wouldn't expect to see anything significant between the glazing tbh.

• Thanks 1

Shit ton of of packers but it’s clear to see what’s happened. You’ll not see any difference internally but with the stone cill being removed you’re seeing the external cill being packed to support it and a shit ton of pu foam as a result.

Unlikely there is much they can do about increasing window size without causing issues internally.

What I would say is, who is dealing with the mastic on sides/top of window? Who is dealing with the finishing under the window?

Warm Edge spacers are generally black but they can come in different colours but they do look like warm edge. I’d say it’s uncommon for stainless steel spacers these days.

regarding bracket positioning, it’s about not bowing the frame hence being used at corners and under mullions /transoms. Ideally 150mm from corners but 50mm isn’t generally going to be an issue. Depends on type of bracket to be honest. Off the shelve or designed for this window system? 

Off the shelve will either have metal teeth that you twist into a groove on the frame. You will then have a screw hole to fix it in place and on the outer section of frame before the thermal break. You don’t want to go through the thermal break unless you absolutely have to.

The holes in corners of glass spacer are where the gas has been inserted.

If you have foreign contaminant inside the sealed unit, check the guidelines from GGF. I’d expect none on any unit and insist with my suppliers that the unit is replaced (even if guidelines say it’s acceptable).

Edited by craig
  • Thanks 1