Ground Wire for Gas

mike2016

I've been excavating for a new paved driveway but have a question about the ground wires for the gas line. The earth rod was bent by the digger and I'll reinstate that. The pipes are copper so it's still needed I'd guess. How urgent should I make this? Also there are two copper gas pipes in different sizes, any ideas why? 

Just interested in understanding the various connections while I have them exposed. Thanks!

earth bond gas line.jpg

Incoming gas is a galv pipe above ground by the looks of it, and the supply to the house looks like copper. The requisite is to have the gas earth bond within the first 600mm of the outgoing gas pipe from the meter. For aesthetics, you could put this just inside the meter box to not have it 'on display'.

If you are living in the house and have damaged the earth rod, this is a matter of immediate concern and should be fixed and checked asap. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The requisite is to have the gas earth bond within the first 600mm of the outgoing gas pipe from the meter

a source of endless argument between gas men and electricians. Our regs say within 600mm of entry to the building (without saying if that is 600mm inside or outside of the entry point)  I do wish they would bang their heads together and agree a common set of rules.

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If you are living in the house and have damaged the earth rod, this is a matter of immediate concern and should be fixed and checked asap. 

+1

That earth rod is not there just to earth the gas pipe, it is there to earth the whole house so fix it ASAP.

• Like 1

Just now, ProDave said:

a source of endless argument between gas men and electricians. Our regs say within 600mm of entry to the building (without saying if that is 600mm inside or outside of the entry point)  I do wish they would bang their heads together and agree a common set of rules.

Yup, but surely outside in the meter box would be the safest / most sensible option for checks / visual confirmation vs being indoors and boxed in or with 16 coats of gloss over it?!?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup, but surely outside in the meter box would be the safest / most sensible option for checks / visual confirmation vs being indoors and boxed in or with 16 coats of gloss over it?!?

The one that cause "discussion" was where the gas pipe exited the meter box, ran about 8 metres along the wall before entering the property.  The gas fitter would not accept my earth wire clamped next to the entry to the house so we ended up with the ludicrous situation of the earth wire running along and cable tied to the gas pipe just so it could be terminated inside the meter box. 

14 hours ago, ProDave said:

+1

That earth rod is not there just to earth the gas pipe, it is there to earth the whole house so fix it ASAP.

Thanks - thought the house was earthed through the mains supply in a housing estate but happy to be wrong. Will get an Electrician booked ASAP.