Furrings back to back on joists

Moonshine

We are laying the furrings out on joists and they are going back to back to create a mini ridge.

Where the ridge is formed back to back they can be on a joist but the joist is only 47mm wide, so each furring will get ~23mm to rest on. This seems too narrow and wondering if its best to put a noggin in under the joint to provide more bearing. The furrings havent been cut to length yet so can make this change

20220713_210240_compress46.thumb.jpg.19295dec42518a10a88c14a858fe4014.jpg

Or

20220713_210335_compress2.thumb.jpg.1f3d41c3d2d2803c3d698f5605bf0c2d.jpg

Edited by Moonshine

I would prefer noggins all the way, what depth are the furrings at the other end? Are they deep enough to carry the weight of the roof (snow loading!!!) I have always put furrings on top of and along the joists, not across them 🤔

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I would prefer noggins all the way, what depth are the furrings at the other end? Are they deep enough to carry the weight of the roof (snow loading!!!) I have always put furrings on top of and along the joists, not across them 🤔

I have gone with noggins as its only 6 furrings back to back on this section of roof. They are deep enough at the thinnest point for that very reason. On the other larger section of roof the back to back furrings are sitting on a 100mm joist.

• Thanks 1