Dust from planeing doors...

steveoelliott

I apologize for my ignorance but I was wondering how much dust / debris to expect whilst planning 3 internal doors. We are talking taking ~3mm off the bottom of each door but given their location (upstairs end of long landing) and the fact it has been freshly painted, I am not overly keen on the carpenter taking this through the house and down the stairs etc. With the best will in the world it is going to end up knocking into something on the way.

The room is essentially empty, just freshly decorated and will have new carpet down. So I was thinking large dust sheet to catch shavings etc. I've never seen an electric planer in action so just didn't know how much dust / debris to expect.

Planing doesn’t produce dust, nice curly shavings if using hand plane. If the chippy is going to trim bottom of door with it still in place then insist on dust extractor coupled to the saw.

still better to take doors off, outside for trimming, then re fit

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steveoelliott said:

I apologize for my ignorance but I was wondering how much dust / debris to expect whilst planning 3 internal doors. We are talking taking ~3mm off the bottom of each door but given their location (upstairs end of long landing) and the fact it has been freshly painted, I am not overly keen on the carpenter taking this through the house and down the stairs etc. With the best will in the world it is going to end up knocking into something on the way.

The room is essentially empty, just freshly decorated and will have new carpet down. So I was thinking large dust sheet to catch shavings etc. I've never seen an electric planer in action so just didn't know how much dust / debris to expect.

If the material it is removing is wood, then it kicks out a lot of shavings and not much dust to be honest, if the blades are nice and sharp and he takes a reasonable pass each time it should create stuff more like pet bedding shavings rather than a dust. With extract on the fine stuff should be caught.

If MDF, whole different ballgame as that stuff comes away like a dust storm. Even MDF doors usually have a wooden edge though.

• Like 1

Thank you all...

He was happy either way to be honest. I was just thinking about the chance of catching something across the long landing, down the stairs and along the hall. Even with the best intentions accidents happen. Will take a view on it when he does it. One is an oak door and the other 2 are heavy / quality panel doors.