Floodlight with 15m range on PIR

joe90

Due to local concerns about thefts in our area I want to put a floodlight on my workshop which is nearest the gate, it is however 15m away. Screwfix give their PIR range as 10m but I cannot find any info on other suppliers with a greater range. Anyone out there in builders land come across one that will do?

43 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Due to local concerns about thefts in our area I want to put a floodlight on my workshop which is nearest the gate, it is however 15m away. Screwfix give their PIR range as 10m but I cannot find any info on other suppliers with a greater range. Anyone out there in builders land come across one that will do?

Wire two PIR's onto it, or get a long range unit from CP electronics, or microwave, etc. there are options.

You could even use 2 Shellys, PIR near you, which triggers the input terminals on the shelly to turn on for x time and then use the remote shelly relay to switch on, wire that in after the local PIR switched live, and if that PIR triggers too, it will bring on the light. That is how multi-PIR circuits work, basically they all just switch live onto a commoned switch live and the light(s) will stay on until the last PIR switches off. They Shelly option would also give you an option to WiFi switch your flood on.

Being a Luddite I had to google “Shelly”, wifi does not extend that far either. I don’t understand how 2 PIR,s can extend the range (length) 🤔 surely someone must make a simple longer range PIR fir a resonance price?

2 hours ago, Radian said:

But that's an indoor one. Wouldn't last past the first rainstorm!

I have a window I could point it out of 🤷‍♂️, advantage of a PIR is they come with night/day sensor .

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I have a window I could point it out of 🤷‍♂️, advantage of a PIR is they come with night/day sensor .

PIR won't work behind glass. Glass blocks the IR. And being an indoor (burglar alarm) sensor - it has no light sensor. There's several reasons it's so cheap. Both outdoor sensors have light sensors and adjustable timers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

Mis read the original post - thought @joe90 was asking about cameras 

Trouble with cameras is you have a picture of the scrote that took your stuff, but it’s still gone 🤷‍♂️, since you mention cameras what about these as a deterrent? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363806147100?

Edited by joe90

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Trouble with cameras is you have a picture of the scrote that took your stuff, but it’s still gone 🤷‍♂️, since you mention cameras what about these as a deterrent? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363806147100?

Yeah as a deterrent you can’t really go wrong for 15 quid . Personally ( as you know ) I have real cameras recording 24/7 . Probably does act as a deterrent to any theft but far more use to play “ spot the wanker neighbor “ 😁

• Haha 1