Decorating standards

Dan1983

Morning all,

We are just about to complete our build but I’m having issues with the decorating standards.

Im quite picky with things so have tried to cut some slack as I have learnt over the course of the build

that things are rarely perfect and I need to accept that.

That being said, some things I feel have been done to a poor standard.

Before the guys started a mist coat had already been sprayed on by another company so it was purely any filing and final colours.

We used Dulux heritage paint throughout so not cheap paint.

Would it be normal to leave sockets/ light switch fascias in place and mask around rather than pull away from the wall then refit?

As they have been left in place there is now a build up of paint around the switches etc that does not look great.

Some switches have paint on as does some of the matt black door hinges.

Not the end of the world as guess it will come off as paint is water based but should it have been left like that?

Lounge dimmer switch was the worst example which has been sorted but cutting in on door frame remains

Some areas of cutting in really not great in my opinion

Any area of wall they have touched up seems to be leaving a sheen spot which is really annoying (not sure if this is normal in touch ups?)

I have followed up once with them on the issues but they have not seemed to resolve them, I’d just like to know is it me being picky? As wife is happy with it all.

Many thanks for any feedback!

6658465C-A8CA-41CC-BDA0-995D055FBF58.jpeg

C6ACB90F-49B8-44CD-80B1-F0B4E8C24D01.jpeg

30554FF9-ADD9-4CD5-8AD0-55E88B638B1B.jpeg

A562DD87-07BF-44BA-B193-D28C108EC650.jpeg

8199817C-57C5-4184-9AC6-E9D1362AC16E.png

Edited by Dan1983

That is not good for a "professional"  Did you get recommendations before choosing a decorator?

Always unscrew sockets, if the decorator won't would you be happy to do that and re fit them when done?  At least now you could unscrew them yourself, touch up the wall with a small brush, carefully scrape any dried paint off the switch before re fitting.

And use Frog tape for masking, it's the only one I have found that actually does what a "masking" tape is supposed to and keep the paint out in a crisp straight line.

• Like 1

Problem is I’m now worried about unscrewing them and leaving the obvious sheen marks when I touch up, but it does seem the sheen marks are limited to the dark blues used in lounge and main bedroom.

The interior designer we used has great feedback but we were backed into a corner as our builders normal decorator had no availability due to our house incurring delays so had to sort something fairly swiftly.

The interior designer managed to move jobs about to squeeze us in which was really helpful.

The only way I can really see the sheen spots being sorted is to paint the complete wall again.

In my head I think it’s reasonable to ask them to do this, clean all the hinges and fittings and then accept I will have to sort some of the cutting in  and drop all the sockets etc and refinish to the standard I want. 

Edited by Dan1983