Switching on UFH for the first time

climbinggeorge

The UFH is installed, ASHP is running and we've finally got all the floor protection up so we are now able to start using our UFH.
The only issue being its mid-summer

We have wet UFH upstairs and downstairs, upstairs is the wundatherm system with engineered wood (wood is laid on the boards, pipework runs within the boards), downstairs is UFH laid in screed with tiles and engineered wood on top.

The plan was to run the water temp at 25' and gradually increase it by a couple of degrees a day up up to 45' then back down again. The ambient air temperature is currently around 21' so I need to push the required time up a few degrees on thermostats so it actually sends something around the system.
My question is how long should be I be running the UFH each day? 
I don't want to turn the house into a sauna, currently I've got it running at 23' from 0600 to 0800 and to kick in again if needed 1700-2000 to 21'. I don't feel this is actually putting much heat into the floor currently but apart from waiting for winter I'm not sure on the next step

Don't think my floor has seen over about 34 degrees, never saw the reason, house just got too hot at that temperature.  Normal max temp is about 30 deg and that's for batch charging the floor.

Think you really need to run to assist drying the screed.  Not sure there is much point in the summer, especially with air temps in the 20s for a few months anyway.

I commissioned our system first purely so we could deal with any cracks if they appeared, but given the OP appears to have already laid tiles etc, I'm not sure what the benefit would be here.

5 hours ago, climbinggeorge said:

couple of degrees a day up up to 45'

that is too hot for the wundatherm system under engineered wood. 

5 hours ago, climbinggeorge said:

apart from waiting for winter I'm not sure on the next step

wait for winter ….

You can exercise the manifold pumps by just switching the isolator off on the ASHP and triggering the thermostats and the pumps / actuators should open. Nothing more needed as tbh the screed will be dry ( or I hope it is now you have engineered flooring over it ..!) and the rest won’t need any drying out. 

1 hour ago, climbinggeorge said:

Thanks all.
I'm confident the screed was dry, I'd just been following my flow chart and saw that running the system is next. I'll delay that until we actually need the heat

Sounds like the flow chart was missing a "Is it cold?" decision point :)

45 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

Sounds like the flow chart was missing a "Is it cold?" decision point :)

I had a customer phone me yesterday.  "Can you come and look at my heating, it turns on and almost straight away the thermostat turns off"

• Haha 1