ceiling holes too large for lights. Ceiling recently plastered by plasterer.

Question

We have had new low level lights installed in our ceiling, and then the whole ceiling was plastered by a plasterer.  

The holes for the lights are too big, and so don't fit.     

Is it the plasterer's responsibility to sort it out?  Thanks for any advice.  

Not enough information.

Who fitted the lights?  Did they fit initially?

Who removed them for plastering?  Are they much to big or just a bit?  Nice round holes or ragged edges?

Old or new ceiling?

Plasterboard or lath and plaster?

Thanks for response.  The electrician fitted new lights removing olds one of a different model.   I think the holes were slightly too large, but the outer edge of the lights were resting at the bottom of the ceiling.  

The plasterers removed the lights, and plastered the ceiling.  They plastered over an old ceiling.

Now, the lights do just above fit into the hole, but the holes appear to be wider.  The inner of edges of the holes look as if they have been cut by the same person.   If I carefully position the lights, then they don't fall inside the hole and they look close to being correct - their outer edges lie just below the bottom of the ceiling.  

See photo of current situation after carefully adjust position of light, and the hole (on the left hand side, it looks like there is a cut leaving a ridge on both the ceiling and plaster). 

I am not sure, but I think the ceiling was just plasterboard. 

Any advice on this and how to resolve would be very welcome.  

ceiling light.jpg

hole.jpg

Edited by Question

Just now, wozza said:

You can buy downlight hole repair rings - search amazon / Ebay - not sure if I could put up with how they look and if its only one then it would odd - how many light fittings in the room? can you fit bigger ones?

If the gap is very small then you can patch in the sides of the hole by say 2mm, using filler or plaster. That might just work with your non-circular holes.

How the unit clips in may, or may not, work with that.

Or As above find repair rings.

Or there are optional bezels, for appearance but would also perform this repair function.

The trouble with the last 2 is whether your light would fit through the bezel.

Or buy a new light that fits the hole. the hole not being round isn't helping choose a size.

How many of them are "wrong"?  the one pictured that is too large, looks like it has been sawn larger probably with a pad saw, post plastering?  Was that the plasterer trying to clean out the plaster that had partly filled the hole?  Understanding exactly what happened helps pin the blame.

some lights have a larger bezel than others so are more forgiving.

All four are wrong  (for one, the hole is just too small).  There are also three others but the lights and holes are all smaller and they are all fine.  The smaller ones have the same style as the bigger ones.  So we want to keep them all.