I want to install an ASHP, possibly myself

TeaGate

Hello

I'm interested in installing an ASHP, but quotes from businesses have been very high (£11k to £17k). Ideally I'd like to save money in the long term by switching, so using an installer seems out of the question. 

I am now considering a DIY install but am not sure if I can. What I wanted to clarify is:

Does a heat pump need to be installed and/or commissioned by someone with an accreditation of some kind, or can I do it all myself? 

In answer to your question about specific accreditation, not really.  If you purchase a split system you need F Gas certification for the refrigerant gas side of it, not required for a mono block.  Ideally a normal qualified electrician and a normal plumper can install the rest.

No grants available to you.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. 

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A monblock ASHP requires some plumbing skills and some electrical skils.  Do you have these?

Yes, and have some support. My father-in-law is a retired gas engineer, and I have a couple of friends that are qualified electricians. I have good confidence that together we could do what's required to install (though I've yet to design a solution) 

7 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

In answer to your question about specific accreditation, not really.  If you purchase a split system you need F Gas certification for the refrigerant gas side of it, not required for a mono block.  Ideally a normal qualified electrician and a normal plumper can install the rest.

No grants available to you.

I hoped that was the case, but some of the content I've read recently, muddied the water. 

I know there won't be any grants via the DIY route, but so far, the cost after the £5k BUS payment is likely more than doing it myself. I say likely, as I've not designed and priced it yet.. Now that I know that it's a possibility, that's the next step. 

I'll take a look for schematics etc next to come up with options. Any worthy resources or pointers that anyone can suggest would be greatly appreciated. 

I DIY installed my cheap ASHP from Ebay (good make but old stock). I had to get a qualified plumber to sign off the pressurised DHW tank bit and did the electrics myself (previous knowledge) so yes it is completely doable DIY 👍.