Ideas for an embankment

I'd appreciate any suggestions for this embankment at the back of our house. 

We are looking to move but with the current housing market we are struggling to buy anything bigger. 

I have 3young kids. I'd like to keep costs down. Ideally a safe space the children could play in. 

Neighbours with similar gardens have terraced it but I think this would be unsafe for my kids. 

I'm not keen on the idea of plastic grass either. 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! 

IMG_20220612_151425.jpg

IMG_20220612_151407.jpg

IMG_20220612_151329.jpg

I would strim a zigzag path through the 'meadow' up to the top, where I would cut a 'picnic patch'. Leave the rest of the meadow to grow.

If the kids and adults like to use it like that you could cut the paths into the slope and reinforce the edges with timber for next year.

How keen a gardener are you?

I'd do similar. Nice pea gravel zig zag path allt eh way up. This then breaks up your bank in to multiple zones than you can plant properly. As it would be difficult to maintain, I'd prefer just to plant small trees and shrubs most of the way up. 

The other (drastic) option is to excavate out a much bigger flat area at the bottom and build a retaining wall and completely forget about the higher area. That would be a big chunk of money and a lot of disruption.

There's consensus here, work with the slope. I like the slide idea. 

My 2.5yr grandson has just dug up his first potatoes, and he's so excited. I would make the zigzag path permanent with cordons of apple and pear trees and thornless loganberries, maybe a plum tree at the top. Growing your own food grounds your kid's future skills.